Thursday, October 13, 2011

Amy Ludwig VanDerwater - FOREST HAS A SONG

My best writing and my happiness grow from the small scraps of daily life.  I love taking a tiny observation and lingering there, twirling a thought or memory into a poem.  Having grown up with lots of books and room to run and play, my work celebrates simple things in the hope that children will recognize beauty in their own days.

I grew up in the town of Vestal, NY and now live in Holland, NY a cozy community south of Buffalo, NY.  For the past thirteen years, I have worked as a writing teacher, teaching students and teachers about writing style and process.  At the same time, I am a wife and mom, a knitter and bread baker, a reader and valet to many animals.

You can find my poetry in magazines, anthologies, and all through my blog, The Poem Farm, where I wrote and posted a new children's poem and lesson each day for one year from April 2010 - April 2011.  I continue to post there weekly, sharing poems, poem links, and poetry ideas for the classroom.  In addition, I blog at Sharing Our Notebooks, a place where I post others' photos and words about their notebooks and thinking process. I maintain a website at www.amylv.com and tweet at @amylvpoemfarm.

Am I superstitious?  Not really, but I do throw eyelashes (my own and others) over the shoulder for good luck!

My debut book, FOREST HAS A SONG, is a poetry picture book.  It is an enchanted literary walk in the woods, complete with chickadees, moss, maple trees, and deer.  I am grateful to have Robbin Gourley as the illustrator of this book, and I look so forward to seeing how she brings these poems to life in watercolor.  I am also lucky enough to be represented by Elizabeth Harding at Curtis Brown Ltd.

2 comments:

  1. Amy - I can't wait to read your "poetry pb." This is the kind of thing I'm interested in doing, as a poet, as well. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BJ - Thank you so much for your note! It's such fun to be a part of the poetry community here online, and I've been so happy to connect with you in a few different ways. My apologies for taking so long to see this note. Happy poetry autumn! a.

      Delete