Thursday, October 13, 2011

Amy McCulloch: THE OATHBREAKER'S SHADOW


I am a girl of many publishing hats. I have somehow managed to immerse myself completely and utterly in the realm of commercial fiction... unsurprisingly, I absolutely love it! At the moment, my 'day job' is commissioning editor for HarperVoyager in London, UK. This means that, in a fantastic twist of fate, I have also commissioned a few of the Lucky 13s as well as being a debut author myself (Liz Coley and Megan Shepherd, I'm looking at you!). Let me say that if all the Lucky 13 books are as amazing as Pretty Girl 13 and The Madman's Daughter, we're in for an incredible year.

Although I'm based in London now, I'm a Canadian girl at heart. I've been writing in the awkward, squeezed in, make-time-whenever-I-can corners of the day ever since high school. It feels pretty surreal to be able to say that my debut fantasy novel The Oathbreaker's Shadow is coming out now from Random House Children's Books, sold by my super agent Juliet Mushens of PFD Literary -- my publication journey is definitely one of those stories that proves you should never give up.

Book description:

For fifteen years Raim has worn a single blue string tied with a small knot around his wrist. Raim barely thinks about it at all; not since becoming the most promising young archer ever to train for the elite Yun guard and not since his best friend (and the future Khan) Khareh asked him to become his sole Protector. But on the most important day of his life, when he binds his life to Khareh’s, suddenly that string on his wrist is all he can think about – it bursts into flames and sears a blood-red mark into his skin. The knot contained a promise of its own – and now that promise is broken.
Scarred now as an oath-breaker, Raim has two options: run, or be killed.
Raim flees deep into the vast desert to live in Lazar: the colony of exiled oath-breakers. It is there he hopes to learn how to clear his name and return home to keep his promise to Khareh. Except in Lazar, he discovers that his scar from the burnt thread marks the first step on the path to becoming a sage, with the ability to perform feats of magic straight out of legend. The trade-off: he will remain tarnished as an oath-breaker for the rest of his life. Can he forgo his honour for immense power? And even if he did want to clear his name, how can he keep a promise he never even knew he made in the first place?
Favourite superstition: A love of A.A.Milne (who doesn't love Winnie the Pooh -- and the original bear was Canadian! FACT) means that I can never tread on a crack in the pavement. If you haven't read the poem 'Lines and Squares', it's delightful :)

You can of course contact me on Twitter, or read my blog - in which I write about both sides of the publishing process!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome, Amy! So excited to get to "know" you in your writing life and editing life :) What a wonderful surprise. Can't wait to read THE OATHBREAKER'S SHADOW.

    ReplyDelete