Thursday, October 13, 2011

Brandy Colbert: POINTE

Photo by Jessie Weinberg
I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks - the city of Springfield, which you may not know is the hometown of Brad Pitt and also has its very own style of cashew chicken. I've been writing since I can remember and have the many, many spiral-bound notebooks with my childhood stories to prove it. As a teenager, I still devoured as many books as possible, but I grew to love magazines as well and knew from the minute I started applying to colleges that I would study print journalism. I graduated from Missouri State University with a Journalism degree and 15 days later, moved clear across the country to Los Angeles.

While basking in the sun and palm trees, I worked for various health and fitness magazines, where I edited articles on everything from fitness for pregnant ladies to maintaining a healthy and tasty vegetarian diet. Six years later, I moved to Chicago where I learned how to ride public transportation and experienced a full-fledged blizzard. I also wrote about business-y things for an investment banking firm. After four years in the Midwest, I'm back in Los Angeles where I'm loving the sunshine and palm trees once again.

I can't get enough of cooking shows, Chuck Taylors, purple, dance, and just about any type of 1970s nostalgia. You can find me talking about any or all of these things (and perhaps even writing, too!) on Twitter or my blog. So come say hi. I'm not much for superstitions, but I may just avoid stepping on the cracks of a sidewalk if the situation arises. You're welcome, Mom.

My debut novel, POINTE, about a ballet prodigy whose life begins to unravel when she’s forced to admit to the role she played in her childhood friend’s abduction, will be published by Putnam/Penguin in Winter 2014. I am represented by Tina Wexler of ICM.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the cooking shows. Just wish I had a little more talent in that area. Can't wait to check out your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of your book is so perfect! Nice to meet you, Brandy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley: Thank you! And no matter how many cooking shows I watch, they are still little motivation to actually DO something with that knowledge. :)

    Lydia: Thanks so much! Very nice to meet you too, and happy that you're now a Lucky 13.

    ReplyDelete