Thursday, October 13, 2011

Caela Carter: ME, HIM, THEM AND IT

I grew up in love with words. During my childhood in Baltimore, Maryland and Basking Ridge, New Jersey, you could always find me curled up on the coach or sneaking a flashlight under my covers to read more pages from Ann M. Martin or Gary Paulsen or Judy Blume or Cynthia Voight, and later Amy Tan or Wally Lamb or Toni Morrison. If I wasn’t reading, I was scribbling the beginnings of novels furiously into notebooks I would later lose (believe me, if it weren’t for computers, I’d never be able to finish a book without losing it first), or passionately discussing literature with anyone who would listen. I went on to study literature and creative writing at Notre Dame and earned a Master’s in Education there as well. I spent six years teaching before I realized that, although I loved the kids more than I knew possible, I would rather be writing for them than reading with them. That led me to The New School in New York where I am currently working on my MFA in Creative Writing with some truly inspiring classmates. Last winter I got in touch with my agent, the amazing and fun Kate McKean of Howard Morhaim Literary Agency, and this summer my book ME, HIM, THEM AND IT sold to Bloomsbury!

Here’s a little about ME, HIM, THEM AND IT:
Evelyn Jones doesn’t need a public shaming like on Teen Mom: she knows she’s a dumbass. The valedictorian hopeful is playing Bad Girl when she discovers she’s pregnant. Meanwhile, her deadbeat parents have turned their Jacksonville McMansion into a battle ground; her secret boyfriend Todd keeps barging into her heart; and her BFF Lizzie is fed up with her sarcasm and silences. Can a cheating father, a stiff-ass of a mother and a lesbian aunt with two girls of her own help Even make the heart-wrenching decisions that follow? Will Evelyn’s boneheaded mistake ruin her family completely, or force it back together?


In addition to writing, I’m passionate about college football (especially ND—GO IRISH), the fun nooks and crannies in New York City, and Peppermint Patties. My favorite suspicion comes from my wonderful Grams: if you have an itch, it means someone’s thinking about you. How lovely is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment