Thursday, October 13, 2011

Caroline Carlson: MAGIC MARKS THE SPOT


I've wanted to write children's books ever since I was old enough to read them under the bedcovers with a flashlight. But before I was a writer, I worked for people who were nice enough to pay me to spend all my time around books, first in a library and then as an editor at an educational publishing company. If I didn't love writing so much, I would try to be an archaeologist, a dolphin trainer, or a cheese-maker instead.

I earned an MFA in Writing for Children from Vermont College of Fine Arts, and I'm currently an assistant editor of VCFA's literary journal, Hunger Mountain, where I help out with the Children's & YA Literature section. My husband and I live in western Pennsylvania, but I'm still a New Englander at heart. You can find me on Twitter and on my blog.

I'm represented by Sarah Davies at the Greenhouse Literary Agency, and my debut middle grade novel, MAGIC MARKS THE SPOT, will be published by HarperCollins Children's Books in Fall 2013.

MAGIC MARKS THE SPOT is a book about a few of my favorite things: pirates, magic, treasure hunts, and haughty schoolgirls. Hilary Westfield has always dreamed of being a pirate. She wants nothing more than to sail the High Seas in search of magical treasure. But the Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates rejects Hilary’s application because she is a girl, and her father ships her off to Miss Pimm’s Finishing School for Delicate Ladies instead. With the help of her trusty gargoyle, Hilary must find a way to escape from finishing school, outwit spies and governesses, and prove that she is a true pirate by tracking down the most valuable buried treasure of all: the kingdom's lost magic.

As for my favorite superstition--according to my mother, it's good luck when a ladybug lands on you. And I think she must be right, because a ladybug landed on me a few days before I found out I'd sold my book!


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Lucky 13s, Caroline! It's great to see you here, and MAGIC MARKS THE SPOT sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete