Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cat Winters: IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS

I live near Portland, Oregon, but I was born and raised in Southern California suburbia, just a short drive down the freeway from Disneyland.

When I was around seven years old, I found a book about "real" ghosts in my school library and was both terrified and mesmerized by the idea that ghosts might actually exist. From that point forward, I became hooked on dark tales.

My debut novel, In the Shadow of Blackbirds, a young adult gothic historical tale that's a blend of ghost story, mystery, horror, and love story, is coming Spring 2013 from Amulet Books. I'm represented by the fabulous Barbara Poelle of the Irene Goodman Literary Agency

About In The Shadow of Blackbirds: The story of a teen girl mourning the loss of her first love in 1918 California, where a flu has turned deadlier than a world war and spirit communication has become a dark and dangerous obsession. Illustrated with early-twentieth-century photographs.

Favorite Superstition: I'm not sure why, but in most of my earlier manuscripts I included characters named Rose or some variation of Rose. Those books never sold. The first time I didn't include a Rose in a novel, the book sold. I will never again give a character that name.

Where to Find Me: CatWinters.com, Twitter, and Facebook.

2 comments: