Thursday, October 13, 2011

Claire M. Caterer: THE KEY & THE FLAME


Growing up in the suburbs of Kansas City, I lived for the summertime, when I could spend half my day climbing trees and the other half lost in my books. Once I figured out that people were actually paid to write my favorite stories, I decided that’s what I wanted to do too. I’ve been writing ever since.

Having spent some years away from home, I’ve returned to the KC suburbs, where I now live with one husband, one daughter, one beaglish dog, and one shepherdish dog. I remain drawn to the magical, the paranormal, and the idea that secret doors to fabulous places might lurk around every corner.

The Key and the Flame, a fantasy/adventure for middle-grade readers, debuts in spring 2013 from Margaret K. McElderry Books (a Simon & Schuster imprint). I am represented by the wonderfully kind and talented Chris Richman of Upstart Crow Literary Agency.

About The Key and the Flame: Holly Shepard, who lives an impossibly ordinary life, has been longing for adventure—but this one is more than she bargained for. On a family trip to England, an ancient iron key grants Holly entry to a parallel kingdom called Anglielle, a beautiful but dangerous land where magical creatures are slaughtered under the rule of a vicious king. Now that Holly’s own magical powers are awakening, she’s the king’s prime target. But escape isn’t an option: Holly has to find a way to rescue her brother Ben and friend Everett, who the prince has captured and threatened to execute. A host of magical allies and enemies, along with a life-and-death jousting tournament, help Holly rise above her ordinary life to become an extraordinary hero. The first in a five-part series.

Favorite Superstition: I like to keep talismans on my writing desk. Because the element of fire is a central theme of The Key and the Flame, a small dragon named Snort watches over me while I write.

Look for me at: www.CMCaterer.com and on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment