Thursday, October 13, 2011

Corey Ann Haydu, OCD LOVE STORY

I moved to NYC ten years ago with dreams of becoming an actress. I attended Tisch School of the Arts and made a valiant effort to make a career for myself in the theatre. The only problem? I was spending all my time writing instead of auditioning. I published a few short stories and plays, became a staple at my local coffee shop with my trusty laptop, and decided it was time to fully commit to the career I really wanted. Three years ago, I quit my waitressing job, and therefore my acting career, and started working in publishing and researching MFA programs.

Currently, I'm completing my MFA at The New School with a focus on Writing for Children. It was the best decision I've ever made, as it opened me up to a fabulous community of YA and middle-grade writers, and helped me cement my interest in writing for teens. During the day I have an amazing job in children's publishing, and at night I'm in writing workshops with the best YA and MG writers NYC has to offer. My classmates and I also have a wonderful blog, Teen Writer's Bloc, where I'm a contributing writer.

In Spring 2011, I connected with my incredible agent, Victoria Marini at Gelfman Schneider, and in Fall 2011 my debut novel, OCD LOVE STORY, found a home with Simon Pulse.

About the book: (from the Publisher's Marketplace announcement): A girl with OCD bonds with a boy from her group therapy program only to push their budding relationship beyond its limits when her further descent into Obsessive Compulsive Disorder leads her to stalk the objects of her obsession, and she must choose: confront her past or forever be controlled by it.

Favorite superstition: The number 213! Both my birthday (February 13th) and now my publication year (2013). I also make a with when the clock reads 2:13. It's working so far!

1 comment:

  1. Corey - your book sounds incredible. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete