Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lamar "L.R." Giles: WHISPERTOWN

I grew up in Hopewell, Virginia, a small city 20 miles south of the state's capital where, for the longest time, you could only purchase new books off those spinning metal racks in grocery and drug stores. It was on those drug store paperbacks that I cut my literary teeth, a diet that consisted mostly of Stephen King (only the biggest Bestsellers made the rack, and as a 10 year old I found little appeal in Danielle Steel--also, yes, I was reading Stephen King at 10). Despite what some teachers said when they saw covers of books like Misery or IT on my grade school desk, that 'trash' did not rot my brain (I don't think). Fast forward 20 years and I'm a rookie joining the ranks of the Lit Army, aspiring to produce such 'trash'. You can track my tour of duty at my website or on Facebook, Twitter, or Goodreads. I am represented by Jamie Weiss Chilton of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency.

DEBUT: YA Thriller WHISPERTOWN (HarperCollins, 2013)

Nick Pearson is pretending to be someone he isn’t. Not high school pretending. Witness Protection pretending. And the #1 rule is “stay low-key”. But, when his sole friend Eli dies in the school’s journalism room under mysterious circumstances, and Nick stumbles upon the conspiracy Eli planned on exposing, staying low-key takes a backseat to staying alive. 

Newspaper Nerd Eli had a secret, an in-the-works story codenamed “Whispertown”. And it’s got a lot of folks interested. Like corrupt cops, the town’s shady mayor, and certain high-ranking government officials. Teaming with Eli’s estranged (and gorgeous) sister, Nick sets out to unravel the mystery and still maintain his cover. He’ll have to use all the deviant skills he’s gained from his racketeering dad, assassin godfather, and their Serbian gangster boss to find the truth. However, each clue brings him closer to answers he may not want. Whispertown is bigger than he could have ever imagined, and in its shadow stands a killer…a killer Nick fears may be his own father.

Fav Superstition: Covering mirrors during storms to prevent lightning from striking your home...

4 comments:

  1. If your brain is rotten, then so is mine. We'll rot together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHISPERTOWN sounds awesome! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jenn, yes, we are linked in our mental decay. @Fabio, thanks so much, I appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How crazy! We both have witness protection themes! I love it. Your book sounds awesome. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete