Thursday, October 13, 2011

Meet Emma Pass, author of ACID

I realised I wanted to be a writer when I was 13. And now my debut novel is being published by Random House Children’s Books… in early 2013. I think 13 must be my lucky number!

It’s 2111. When Jenna Strong was 13, she was jailed for murder by ACID - the Agency for Crime Investigation and Defence. Now, four years later, she’s been broken out by a mysterious organisation who won’t tell her who they are or why they got her out. Set up with a new identity, Jenna is just getting used to being on the outside when she runs into Max, the son of the man who died getting her out of jail. Soon, ACID are on their trail and they’re forced to go on the run. Now Jenna must keep herself and Max safe – and somehow prevent Max from finding out who she really is…

ACID is based on a story a friend and I challenged each other to write when I was 14, about someone escaping from jail. I didn’t finish it, but the idea never left me, and I came back to it a couple of times while I was experimenting with different sorts of writing. Then, somewhere along the way, I realised I wanted to write for teens. After completing and submitting a contemporary YA novel – which got me an agent, the fantastic Carolyn Whitaker at London Independent Books – I returned to the prison-break story one more time. Two years of writing and redrafting followed, and then, at the end of July 2011, Random House Children’s Books bought it. I can quite honestly say it was the one of the most exciting days of my life!

I live in the north-east Midlands in the UK with my husband and a retired racing greyhound, and have a day job in my local library, where I also run a writing group. I blog over at emmapass.blogspot.com and you’ll often find me procrastinating on Twitter here.

Along with the number 13, my lucky charms are a black-and-white dog figurine with a shiny nose I’ve had since I was a kid and has travelled everywhere with me, and a deep blue sodalite crystal, flecked with white, that was bought for me by my husband.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Emma! Lovely to see you here! This looks like it's going to be a brilliant blog - what a great collection of authors. Will be a pleasure to follow you all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your story! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Write a 2nd book of ACID its too good!

    ReplyDelete