Thursday, October 13, 2011

Megan Shepherd: THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER

I should have known I’d be a writer. I grew up among the bookshelves of my parents’ independent bookstore in the Blue Ridge Mountains, reading everything from A Little Princess to Heart of Darkness. I liked to make up stories in my head and secretly resented it when adults wanted to play along, because obviously all adults had zero imagination.

At the time, I thought I wanted to travel the world and do something dashing instead, so I studied abroad, lived all over Europe, learned a bunch of languages I may never speak again, spent two years in an African mud hut, and then ended up right back in Western North Carolina, 45 minutes away from my parents’ bookstore. Something about these mountains and the stories they inspire got a hold on me. And now I am lucky enough to get paid to write down all the stories in my head, and I couldn’t imagine a better life.

My debut YA is THE MADMAN’S DAUGHTER, the first of a historical thriller trilogy loosely inspired by gothic-era classics. It comes out in early 2013 from Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins. I am represented by Josh Adams of Adams Literary, who is literally a ninja—he split a board in half with a karate-chop at our last writing conference. I love talking about books, travel, and life. Visit my website to learn more about my book or connect with me on Twitter or Goodreads.

Book description: London, 1893. 16-year old Juliet Moreau travels to her estranged father's tropical island and finds murder, madness, and a love triangle with an enigmatic castaway and her father's handsome young assistant.

Favorite Superstition: I’ve heard that meeting three sheep is good luck. I’ve yet to meet three sheep, but I enjoy putting myself in situations where I might.

1 comment: