Thursday, October 13, 2011

Peggy Eddleman: THROUGH THE BOMB'S BREATH

I did not grow up wanting to be an author. It was reading MG books to my own kids that made me willing to dive into the deep end and pursue a career in publishing with all I had. There is nothing in the world quite like reading a book to your kids that you wrote. I tell you, it's more addicting than Diet Coke and chocolate combined!

I met and later snagged my dream agent in Sara Crowe of Harvey Klinger, who set me up with my dream editor, Shana Corey of Random House Children's Books. My MG post-apocalyptic adventure THROUGH THE BOMB'S BREATH will be out in September of 2013.

About THROUGH THE BOMB'S BREATH:

Twelve-year-old Hope Toriella lives in a town of inventors struggling to recover from the green bombs of WWIII that wiped out nearly all the earth’s population. Maybe inventing has made life possible in White Rock, and maybe it’s how the town views a person’s worth. But Hope would much rather sneak off to cliff dive into the Bomb’s Breath— the deadly band of compressed air that covers their valley— than fail at yet another invention. Everyone else in town is great at inventing; they even invented Ameiphus, the medicine that cures the deadly Shadel’s Sickness that has run rampant since the bombs.

When bandits not only discover White Rock has the cure for the sickness, but find a way into their protected valley, they invade. With a two day deadline to finish making this year’s batch of Ameiphus and no ingredients to make more, the town is left to choose whether to hand over the medicine and die from Shadel’s over the next year, or die fighting the bandits now. Help lies with a neighboring town, but the bandits count everyone fourteen and older each hour. Hope realizes that she and a couple of friends might be the only ones who can leave to make the dangerous trek through the Bomb’s Breath and over the snow-covered mountain. Inventing won’t help her, but the daring and recklessness that usually gets her into trouble just might.

I live and hang out at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains in Utah with my three hilarious and fun kids (two sons and a daughter), and my incredibly supportive husband. I love playing games with my family, making dinner, reading to my kids, toilet papering friends’ houses, doing cartwheels in long hallways, trying new restaurants, and occasionally painting murals on walls.

I don't think you can call this a superstition (since I'm fairly certain a superstition requires a good backstory), but can't touch a picture of a spider. They scare me even more in print than they do in real life!

I blog all the time at Peggy Eddleman: Will Write For Cookies, I tweet not all the time at @PeggyEddleman, and you can find me and my book on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment