Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rachele Alpine: Author of CANARY

I'm surrounded by words! I'm a high school English teacher by day (10th grader American Literature), MFA fiction student by night and try to find whatever free time I can in between to write, write, write!

I'm represented by John Rudolph from Dystel and Goderich and my young adult comtemporary novel CANARY will be published in the summer of 2013 by Medallion Press.

Here's the scoop about my book...

Kate Franklin’s family is a dysfunctional mess. Ever since her mom died, her dad has thrown himself into coaching basketball as a way to cope with his grief. Kate and her brother have been left alone to deal with the loss in silence.

Kate's life starts to change when her dad lands a job at Beacon Prep, an elite private school with one of the best basketball teams in the state. She begins to date a player on the team and quickly gets caught up in a world of idolatry and entitlement, learning that there are perks to being an athlete.

But those perks also come with a price. Another player takes his power too far and Kate is assaulted at a party. She knows she should speak out, but her dad tries to silence her in order to protect the team. The world that Kate was once welcomed into is now her worst enemy, and she must decide whether to stay silent or expose the corruption, destroying her father’s career and bringing down a town’s heroes.


Sounds good, right? If you want to read more, you can find information about me and my book on the following sites:

And since we're The Lucky 13s, it's only fitting to share our favorite superstitions! Mine has to do with Friday the 13th. Instead of being an unlucky day for me, it's one of my luckiest. I went on my first date (a blind date...yikes) with my now husband on Friday, October 13. Nothing like throwing superstition out the window and meeting someone on one of the most unlucky days of the year! Although I must admit, I still don't think I have the nerve to fly on Friday the 13th!

1 comment: