Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sarah Skilton: BRUISED

-->I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, where my older sister and I loved recording our own radio shows onto cassette tape. I swear we weren't born in the 1920s. We wrote and performed serialized dramas, comedies, soap operas about cats, talk shows, and of course advertisements. To this day I can still sing our commercial jingles for such products as "Howl Aloud" (which is obviously a pill that makes you howl like a wolf). Perhaps unsurprisingly, I graduated with a TV/Radio degree from Ithaca College in upstate New York before moving to sunny Los Angeles, where I've worked as a production assistant, a TV extra, a film reviewer, and a script analyst. My husband Joe is a magician, and we live in Santa Clarita, CA. I've studied Tae Kwon Do and Hap Ki Do, both of which came in handy while writing my martial arts-themed debut YA novel, BRUISED. I'm represented by Sara Megibow of Nelson Literary.

BRUISED (Abrams/Amulet Books, Spring 2013): Imogen is a confident high school black belt who freezes up at an armed robbery that leaves someone dead. Guilt-stricken and numb, she decides to prove herself by teaching another student how to fight -- no holds barred, no protective gear, no rules. When the image you have of yourself is shattered, how do you make it whole again?

Favorite Superstition (the least healthy one, anyway): I've always been scared to talk too much about good things, for fear that talking about them will cause them not to happen. I've also been known to wish upon a star.

Add my book on GoodReads, or follow my blog, Facebook or Twitter.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Your new blog is FAB. I will tweet you up tomorrow. :) And how cool that you used to record "radio" shows w/your sister. I did the same things w/my cousins! Well, actually, my brother did and I got left out of the fun and had to be the audience. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita,

    Thanks so much for the support! I love that your cousins recorded radio shows, too. Grr about your brother. I hope you can at least hear yourself as an audience member clapping? ;) I'll have to tell my sister that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassette tapes! Man, I remember those. Hope you kept them as a momento. Congrats again on Bruised ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super jealous of your martial arts abilities! Your book sounds great! Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds amazing! I wish I knew more martial arts. I don't think rolling into a tiny ball counts for anything.

    ReplyDelete