Thursday, October 13, 2011

Stephanie Kuehn: CHARM & STRANGE


Hi there! I’m a young adult writer, and I grew up in Berkeley, California, which is a quirky sort of a place with a ton of wonderful bookstores. My very first job was working in one of those bookstores, and I’ve been a freakishly avid reader for as long as I can remember. Back then, some of the books that had the greatest impact on my life were young adult novels, and now, as an adult, I’ve found my own passion in writing books for teens.

Other passions of mine include advocacy, social justice, and sports of all kinds. When I’m not writing or reading (or studying for graduate school), I’m usually outside running or playing with my family. I currently live in Northern California with my husband, three kids, and our menagerie of pets.

I am represented by Michael Bourret of Dystel and Goderich Literary Management. My debut YA novel, CHARM & STRANGE, will be published by St. Martin’s. It’s the dark (and wolfish) story of a sixteen-year-old boy stuck at a remote Vermont boarding school who must face the secrets from his past that have transformed him, right down to his most elemental parts.

And as for a favorite superstition, hmm, that’s a good question! When I was younger I was very superstitious. I had to do everything in fours (touch things, take the stairs, turn around, arrange items), and I also had a giant imaginary keyboard inside my head. Everything I said or wrote had to be balanced equally in terms of the left and right sides of the keyboard. Well, this all took up quite a lot of time and energy, and now that I’ve broken myself of magical thinking, I’m pretty loathe to indulge in any sort of superstition. But here’s a running one: when I race, I always wear red. Because red is fast.

tweet, and I blog both here and over at the YA Highway. You can also find me and my book on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment