Thursday, October 13, 2011

C.J. Flood, INFINITE SKY

I've been writing for about eight years, but I only started taking it seriously a couple of years ago, when I decided to take out a loan and do an MA in Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia. I started my novel - INFINITE SKY - there. Doing the course, was an excellent decision, as I met my wonderful agent there, and my writing improved a huge amount too. I sold the novel to Simon and Schuster UK the September after graduating, and Arena Germany too, after auctions in both countries.(Woop.)


Set in the Midlands, INFINITE SKY is fourteen year old Iris Dancy’s story, spanning a single summer holiday. It is the summer that her mother leaves her father to undertake a spiritual journey across North Africa; the summer that a family of bare-knuckle fighting Irish Travellers set up camp, illegally, in the Dancy's paddock: a summer that will change the Dancy family's life forever. 

I currently live in Derby, England, at my dad's house (in the book it's called Silverweed Farm) where we have a dog and two cats, and where we did have four chickens until the fox got them. I write full time, and am working on an adult novel as well as my next YA novel, and, slowly, slowly, at an almost imperceptible rate, a collection of short stories. I am represented by Catherine Clarke at the Felicity Bryan Agency.

I have a kind of anti-superstition superstition, which is to always walk under ladders if I can, to open umbrellas indoors, and put new shoes on the table whenever possible. I would happily do the washing on the first day of the new year, if only I could make it out of bed in time.


Visit my blog or follow me on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsey, so great to see you here! I'm really looking forward to reading SILVERWEED, and I love your characters' names, especially Trick (I have a real thing about names!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emma!

    Only just seen this, duh. I love the name Trick too, so much so that I actually even considered (in a slightly mad moment) calling the book Trick! Wouldn't have been a logical choice...

    ReplyDelete