Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankful for...

As you may have noticed, the Lucky 13s are expressing our gratitude this week. For me, I could probably give you a straight list of folks I owe thanks to and you'd be scrolling for a solid 30 seconds. But, I won't subject you to the long and awkward Oscar speech partially because I've still got an acknowledgements page to write so I gotta save something. Also, this opportunity dovetails nicely with a post I've been meaning to write anyhow. A post about my agent, the incomparable Jamie Weiss Chilton of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency.

I've written about my years of agent-less strife, as well as the day I got the call that ended said strife, but I don't know if I ever wrote much about the agent herself, and she most certainly deserves thanks this holiday season. Jamie sold my book this year which is, of course, her job, but Jamie has a way of making you feel less like a client, and more like a teammate. A friend. She's in it with you, fully committed, and while that may sound like a standard part of the job description, you'd be surprised how many authors have relayed agent experiences of a different nature to me.

I'm so very thankful for my agent/teammate/friend who expressed positive energy that I couldn't muster during the bad submission days. I'm thankful for how she's constantly padding my to-be-read list with great books time and again. I'm thankful for how she treated me to the best burger on earth during my first visit to California. I'm thankful that business and strategy only make up a small part of our conversations. As much as we talk, and as great as she is at what she does, Jamie doesn't treat me like a business obligation.

For that, I can't thank her enough.

Happy Turkey Day! Until next time...

********************************************************************************
Lamar "L. R." Giles writes for adults and teens. Penning everything from epic fantasy to noir thrillers, he's never met a genre he didn't like. His debut YA mystery WHISPERTOWN is about a teen in witness protection who investigates his best friend's murder and stumbles on a dark conspiracy that leads back to his own father. It will be published in Summer, 2013 by HarperCollins. He resides in Virginia with his wife and is represented by Jamie Weiss Chilton of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Find out more on his website, Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment