Friday, January 13, 2012

The 13th Day: Writing Snacks

Some people may think that the number 13 is unlucky, but not those of us at The Lucky 13s!

In fact, we're celebrating the 13th day of each month by featuring a blog entry that celebrates all of our members.

Here's how it works... I'll ask a question, and they'll answer.

It's a way of making the 13th day of each month a little bit more special!

This month's question was...

Winter is the time for hibernating and staying warm and cozy inside
with your manuscript. What is your must have food/drink while writing
and revising?

Watch out! Your mouth might start watering as you read our tasty responses!

Rachele Alpine:
I need a good strong cup of coffee to keep me going. I mix in a little skim milk and vanilla creamer and it's the bomb diggity! Gummy candy is also a must...but I'll talk Hot Tamales in an emergency situation.

Cat Winters:
Hot chocolate topped with chocolate whipped cream from my favorite indie
coffeehouse.

Julia Gibson:
Yorkshire Gold tea with milk and sugar and cucumbers on toast with a
choc. Without that, no writing is possible!

Jessica Young:
Dark roast coffee and dark chocolate are my staples. But have been known to explore various other options: salt water taffy, popcorn, salt and vinegar chips, jelly beans, and alternative beverages – especially when revising, nothing is safe!

Emma Pass:
Freshly ground coffee and cheese on toast. :)

Kristin Halbrook:
A triple espresso with a touch of Irish Cream and a pack of Gummy Tummy
penguins. Total brain food!

Betsy Cornwell:
Tea, Earl Grey, hot--the way the best Starfleet captain takes it.

Brandy Colbert:
I don't eat while writing (in fact, I'm the Queen of Forgetting to Eat For Several Hours When Writing) but my favorite snack is a glass of tart grapefruit juice and a bowl of Trader Joe's organic popcorn popped in olive oil. A strange but delicious combination.

Elsie Chapman:
Caffeine is my vice of choice! I'll take it in any way, shape, or form, but
I'm partial to Tazo Awake and Stash Double Bergamot teas in the winter, and
iced coffees in the summer!

Lydia Kang:
I must have salt! But a little sweet makes it even better. My latest
writing treats are medjool dates and a slice of fancy-schmancy cheese. Oh,
and green tea. I'm a tea-aholic.

Erin Bowman:
Chai is my weakness. Chai tea, Chai lattes, *Pumpkin* Chai lattes! Nothing
like a beverage that tastes like Autumn and spices to warm you up on a cold
winter day.

Caroline Carlson:
I'm a tea drinker. These days it's usually English Breakfast with milk
and sugar. I don't eat while I write, and on really good writing days,
I get so caught up in my work that I forget to eat lunch until it's
almost time for dinner. (But I always have some cookies nearby in case
of writing emergencies.)

Elisabeth Dahl:
I alternate between sparkly drinks (seltzer, diet soda, the occasional glass of cava) and hot drinks (especially I Love Lemon tea). Somehow the combination of cold and hot fuels the effort.

Ashley Elston:
Okay, seems like everyone snacks like a grown-up while I'm more like a twelve year old. Coke zero while writing and banana Laffy Taffy while revising. And yes, only banana flavor will do. I need the comic relief from the jokes on the wrapper to get through the really stressful stuff!

Phoebe North:
Eight o'clock coffee and cheese and crackers! Om nom nom.

Ryan Graudin:
Without a hot drink at my side I can't seem to get the words to come out
right. Any kind will do the trick: Chai, coffee, tea, hot chocolate. I also
really enjoy Butter Rum Lifesavers (they remind me of Butterbeer!)

Jennifer Stark:
I am all about coffee, however I can get it. Everything else is incidental to the caffeine! Foodwise, it's really whatever is handy, particularly almonds and cheese.

Liz Coley:
A latte and a lemon Nonni's biscotti are my writing staples!

Amy McCulloch:
For me, it's a mug of hot tea and a packet of Cadbury chocolate buttons! The right combination of food for my muse.

Imogen Howson:
Coffee with skimmed milk and honey. Food is nice, but it's for breaks, not
for while I'm writing--too much of a distraction otherwise!

Corey Haydu:
I'm also a writer who relies heavily on a hot drink. I usually go for a
Starbucks Chai latte, or a skim mocha anywhere else. As for snacks,
goldfish are a staple. But when I need extra motivation, I treat myself to
a chocolate croissant. I have a feeling January will be all about the
chocolate croissant, since I will be starting revisions!

Megan Shepherd:
My writing drink of choice is a maple & sea salt hot chocolate from my
town's chocolate lounge. That's right--chocolate lounge. It's amazing!

Deb Driza:
I drink a ton of Zen hot green tea, and pretty much eat whatever's in
grabbing distance (so if you're writing nearby, lock up your snacks!)
but I love those chocolate brownie bites with sea salted caramel from
Starbucks...yum!) And if I'm splurging on drinks, I'll have a hot
apple spiced cider. (No skipping the whipped cream for me--that would
be cider sacrilege!)

Tamera Wissinger:
On cold writing days my favorite morning snack combo is a cup of hot peppermint milk and a bowl of dry Cheerios. (Love the crunch!) After lunch a bit of dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt signals it’s time to go back to work.

Mindy McGinnis:
I write lying down, so if I were to eat or drink anything while writing I'd
probably choke and die, thus negatively impacting my productivity.

Jessica Corra:
For me the only must-have is WATER. Lots of it. I get really focused and
forget to drink anything, so staying hydrated is super important to me.

Sarah Skilton:
In the morning before work, I like coffee, tea, or a smoothie (OJ, plain
yogurt, bananas and strawberries in the blender) to get me in the proper
mindset of starting my day and writing for an hour. At night, after
spending the day filling my brain up, I like a Guinness or a glass of wine
to help me relax and place a formal separation between my "work day" and my
"writing night." This also helps me be less critical of whatever I'm
writing or revising!

Chelsey Flood:
I drink earl grey all day when I'm writing. With extra sugar when things are bad, and always milk. Coffee makes me feel agitated/nervous, so occasionally I have a cup of that to see if it stimulates me, and if I can turn that nervousness into alertness. It doesn't work. If I'm writing at night, I sometimes drink red wine, to make it feel a bit more sociable.

April Tucholke:
I drink yerba mate, cold, with a bit of almond milk, out of a quart
mason jar (I like that they have lids). Sometimes I'll make a
espresso con panna, if I'm feeling up for the buzz, or maybe a warm
matcha--which is green tea powder whisked into water or milk. It's a
sprightly jade green color that I find cheering on dark days.

What about you? What is your favorite writing snack?

Rachele Alpine is represented by Dystel and Goderich and her young adult comtemporary novel CANARY will be published in the summer of 2013 by Medallion Press.

She blogs, or you can find her on Facebook and Goodreads.

9 comments:

  1. Coffee if it's the day time, but a nice cup of green tea at night if I need to relax and focus my writing energies lol. I am partial to my campus' very large muffins, but they're probably not the healthiest thing in the world hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post, Rachele! I've got some new snacks to try now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fav snacks are Hot Cocoa and French Vanilla Cappuccino mixed together (mornings) and if that doesn't get me going, then a bowl of extra hot salsa and wheat chips. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee in the morning, and tea in the afternoon - both strong, and fragrant. With chocolate if I'm really struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all have a common theme....lots of caffeine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caffeine, caffeine. I hate you. I need you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, another hand raised for caffeine. Though I love Bengal spice tea with a splash of milk and honey. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm getting hungry all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely green tea. (It used to be peppermint until acid reflux kicked in.) If I am at a B&N, along with the tea, I like to have blueberry scone or biscotti in the cafe as I write.

    ReplyDelete