Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Apocalypse Now: An interview with Brodi Ashton, author of EVERNEATH

Today we are so pleased to speak with Brodi Ashton, author of the fabulous new book Everneath, which hits the shelves TODAY! Congratulations, Brodi!

From Goodreads:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned—to her old life, her family, her friends—before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back—this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...


---

1) I spent many happy hours as a child engrossed in my
D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths. Have you always been interested in mythology? What is it about the Hades/Persephone myth that particularly interests or inspires you?

I mention D'Aulaire's book in my sequel, because I totally devoured that book time and time again as a kid! So yes, I've always had an interest in Greek mythology, but I never set out to write a story about it. For Everneath, the story of a girl returning to her old life after a long mysterious absence, came first. It was only later that I realized the similarities to the plight of Persephone.


2) The story of Everneath is told in a flash-back-flash-forward style that reveals information to the reader one tantalizing bit at a time. Did you have to outline extensively in order to write this way? Or did you write the sections in chronological order and then rearrange the pieces?

I didn't do either! I hate outlining, and I couldn't write the sections in chronological order. This is not because I have an organized mind or anything, because if you ask my friends I'm the least organized person around. But when I wrote the book, the scenes just naturally fell into place in a before/after kind of way. Every time I was in the present, and a question came up about the past, I'd go and write about it. That's how the timeline evolved.


3) Although this book is part of a trilogy, it also works well as a stand-alone. Did you always intend for it to have sequels?

No. It wasn't until I was interviewing agents that the idea came up. My agent (Michael Bourret) asked me on the phone if I was done with the world of the Everneath, and that's when I thought to myself, maybe not. We had such a similar vision for the story, and it was a leading factor as to why I picked Michael.


4) Nikki chooses to return to the Surface in order to tie up loose ends and make peace with her loved ones and her former life. If you had only six months left on the Surface, what would be the top three things on your to-do list?

I would eat and eat. I just returned from a Disney Cruise, and I did just that, and it was a beautiful thing. Also, I'd be with my family. And order a million dollars worth of stuff off of the HSN.


5) Cole's band, The Dead Elvises, plays a very large role in the story. Are they based on a real band? Did you write to a playlist of Dead Elvises-style music? If so, what was on said playlist?

I didn't base them off of any particular band, but I imagined they're very hip, with a lot of swagger. I didn't create a playlist, necessarily, but I could imagine them singing "Ulysses" by Franz Ferdinand.


6) How do you plan to celebrate your release day?

Launch party. Everyone's invited!

7) We Lucky 13s like to ask people about their superstitions and lucky rituals. What's yours?

When I'm writing, I always have a Diet Coke nearby, and usually a cup of tea steeping. And nothing could be luckier than chocolate-covered cinnamon bears!

Thanks so much for talking to us, Brodi!

---

Brodi Ashton received a bachelor's degree in journalism from University of Utah and a master's degree in international relations from London School of Economics. She has an active following on her blog, which can be found here. You can also follow her on Twitter. Brodi lives in Utah with her family.

You can purchase your copy of Everneath at your favorite local indie bookstore or online at IndieBound, Barnes and Noble, or Amazon.

---

This interview was conducted by Lucky13s member Alison Cherry as part of an ongoing series of interviews with The Apocalypsies—YA, MG, and children's book authors debuting in 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! I love Greek mythology, and the Persephone take sounds wonderful. Oh, and what a cover! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete