Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Twelve Days of Rejection

I'm continuing with this week's theme: What Keeps You Going When the Going Gets Tough. I know the holidays are over, but I've composed my ode to writing survival to the tune of "The Twelve Days of Christmas."

THE TWELVE DAYS OF REJECTION
by Cat Winters

On the first day of rejections my true love gave to me:
My writer friends' empathy.

On the second day of rejections my true love gave to me:
Two chocolate bars,
And my writer friends' empathy.

On the third day of rejections my true love gave to me:
Three foot rubs,
Two chocolate bars,
And my writer friends' empathy.

On the fourth day of rejections my true love gave to me:
Four calls to my sister,
...etcetera, etcetera...
And my writer friends' empathy.

On the fifth day of rejections my true love gave to me:
FIVE FRESH-AIR BREAKS,
Four calls to my sister,
Three foot rubs,
Two chocolate bars,
And my writer friends' empathy.

On the sixth day of rejections my true love gave to me:
Six yoga sessions,
FIVE FRESH-AIR BREAKS,
...la, la, la, la, la... add some more caffeine...
And my writer friends' empathy.

On the seventh day of rejections my true love gave to me:
Seven escapist movies,
Six yoga sessions,
You know all the rest,
And my writer friends' empathy.

On the eighth day of rejections my true love gave to me:
Eight inspiring novels,
Seven escapist movies,
...and can we make them movies that involve attractive men in historical clothing? Because that makes me really happy...
And my writer friends' empathy.

On the ninth day of rejections my true love gave to me:
Nine stress-relief walks,
Eight inspiring novels,
Seven....oh, just give me the @#*!-ing chocolate...
And my writer friends' empathy.

Barbara Poelle,
Dauntless Literary Agent
& Master Pep Talk Giver
On the tenth day of rejections my true love gave to me:
Ten Barbara pep talks,
Nine stress-relief walks,
Men dressed in historical garb,
...la, la, la, la, la...
And my writer friends' empathy.

On the eleventh day of rejections my true love gave to me:
Eleven hugs from my children,
Ten Barbara pep talks,
Nine...
...OH MY GOD, I'M NEVER GOING TO GET PUBLISHED!
I. AM. NEVER. GOING. TO. GET. PUBLISHED!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Two chocolate bars,
And my writer friends' empathy.

On the twelfth day of rejections my true love gave to me:
Twelve hours of uninterrupted writing time,
Eleven hugs from my children,
Ten Barbara pep talks,
Nine stress-relief walks,
Eight inspiring novels,
Seven escapist movies,
Six yoga sessions,
FIVE FRESH-AIR BREAKS,
Four calls to my sister,
Three foot rubs,
Two chocolate bars,
And my writer friends' empathy.

That's all it takes.
____________________________________________________

Cat Winters was born and raised just a short drive down the freeway from Disneyland, which probably explains her obsession with haunted mansions, bygone eras, and fantasylands. Her debut novel, In the Shadow of Blackbirds, an illustrated YA historical ghost tale, is coming Spring 2013 from Amulet Books. She lives outside of Portland, Oregon, with her husband and two kids.

You can visit Cat's haunts at CatWinters.com, Twitter, and Facebook. In the Shadow of Blackbirds is now on Goodreads.

9 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Thanks for posting this, Cat - it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emma! I was originally just going to make a list of all the things that help me through the tough writing moments, but I realized I should show what truly happens inside a writer's head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! I love this! All so true, too!!! I've really appreciated your friendship over the years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lo!

    I've greatly appreciated your friendship over the years, too, Ara!!

    P.S. Ara is one of my writer friends mentioned above, and she has indeed given me loads of empathy and support for well over a decade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that - you made me laugh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed it, Kate! I snickered while writing it, so I'm happy others are laughing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is PERFECT!!! I just had not so much a rejection as a "well, this isn't quite right" talk, and I'm definitely on board with this list! Hooray for true empathy! And chocolate. And escapist movies with men in historical clothing. (...sigh...)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you just had one of those talks, Jenn!

    For best results, eat the chocolate while watching the escapist movies with men in historical clothing.

    ReplyDelete