Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ode to… my writing partner


The Lucky 13s are all loved up over the next couple of weeks. Today, I want to pay tribute to my writing partner, Adam Parks, who was the first person to read Oathbreaker – long before it became the novel it is now. And long before I had an inkling of a deal, he believed that it would happen for me.

And so, in true ode style, I’m going to serenade him in verse:

Dear Adam, at uni we met because someone said
We had the same colour eyes. Weird hazel-green.
More in common: classes we took, books we’d read,
But most of all, we shared the same dream.
To write! But more than just write, to live to write
And together we sat in the same cafe on Bloor
Replacing our blood with coffee, filling our fingerprints with ink
You read the first draft; pointed out things that weren’t right
Things that weren’t wrong; but most of all you asked for more.
For that, I thank you. Next stop: your deal, -wink-.


***

Amy McCulloch is a girl of many publishing hats: author, editor and reader. Originally from Ottawa, Canada, she currently lives in London, UK. Other than books, she is addicted to travelling, running and Starbucks coffee.

Her debut novel, THE OATHBREAKER'S SHADOW is due from Random House Children's Books in Spring 2013. Find out more on her blog or feel free to say hello on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment