Saturday, March 17, 2012

Depressed Much?

by Mindy McGinnis

It's St. Patty's Day, and I think that's awesome.

What I don't think is so awesome is the amount of people that assume I'm an alcoholic because I'm Irish.

Sure, I'm thick-skinned so I can take all that teasing in stride, but the holiday dovetails nicely with a recent article about creative children being more prone to depression than their non-creative counterparts.

Why does that dovetail? Name me one sober, optimistic Irish author.

In any case, I think most people do struggle with depression at any given point in their lives, regardless of their creativity. However, I definitely think we're more prone to the dark fingers of that particular malady. And dealing with the rejections that will inevitably come, can make their grip all the stronger.

How to deal? Join an author's forum, for sure. The only people who can truly understand how crushing the blow was on that full rejection are your fellow writers, and they're willing to listen, because they know they'll need your shoulder next week. I highly recommend AgentQuery Connect and Query Tracker as professional and positive places to find others like yourself.

In the end, friends and connections can't make it better on their own. It's up to you to haul yourself up by your bootstraps and keep going. And you're the only person who knows where your own bootstraps are.

1 comment:

  1. "Name me one sober, optimistic Irish author."
    LOL, Mindy. Seriously, though, this is great point about rejection only amplifying otherwise "normal" feelings of depression and self-doubt. The journey toward publication may be worth it, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

    ReplyDelete