Friday, April 20, 2012

My BFF is a Real Nightmare

So the topic for this blog is “Would I be friends with the Main Character of my debut novel The NightmareAffair?”

And here’s my answer: I certainly hope so!

Why you ask? Well, I can understand your doubt. It is true that Dusty Everhart is a literal Nightmare, a magical being who must feed on the dreams of others. And it is true that Nightmares have a certain reputation for doing harm, but all of that is just hurtful stereotyping. You know, like saying all ghosts are really scary. There’re always exceptions. Like Casper. And Anna (who can be scary, but only sometimes). And Bobby, of course (if you don’t understand this reference, don’t worry about it. If you do, then all right!)  

So once you get past the potential-for-evil thing, there are many reasons why being friends with Dusty would be cool. But to keep things short and sweet, I’ll focus on my top 3.

1.       Dusty can do magic

Um, hello? Does there really need to be any other reason than that? However, in the interest of full disclosure I must warn you that Dusty’s magic can be a bit unpredictable. For example, she accidentally sets fire to her best friend’s hair in gym class.

2.       Dusty suffers from smartass-itis

This is something we have in common. I too suffer from smartmouth disease as does my mom, my grandmother, and my big sister. In my family, we express affection through sarcasm. Dusty would fit right in.

3.       With Dusty, it’s always an adventure

This one is a no-brainer, considering she is the MC, and if her life wasn’t adventurous that would be kind of boring. But still, even minus the whole “tracking down a killer by following clues in her crush’s dream,” her life is adventuresome. There are surprises around every corner. I mean, just try to imagine what went down in that gym class.

Mindee Arnett is the debut author of THE NIGHTMARE AFFAIR, a Contemporary Fantasy coming Winter 2013 from Tor Teen. She's addicted to jumping horses and telling tales of magic and the macabre. You can find her on Twitter and at her website.


6 comments:

  1. LOL "Once you get past the potential for evil thing..."
    Can't remember how many people have said that about me. :)
    I can't WAIT to read this book - sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great post! Sounds like a great book! Looking forward to seeing it on the bookshelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dusty sounds like my kinda BFF. Magic? I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dusty :D I can't wait to get reacquainted with her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yah! So glad you guys are liking her, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dusty sounds unbelievably cool, Mindee. Can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete