Saturday, May 26, 2012

Beyond Words: Art and Photos of Luminance Hour

I've always been a very visually oriented person. As an architect's daughter raised in one of the most beautiful cities in the US, I was taught to appreciate the aesthetics of everything around me. The beauty of a brass, lion-head door-knocker. How the exact shade of blue paint on a certain house blended with the high-noon sky. Small details that add untold wealth to your surroundings.

As I grew in my love of writing I learned how to paint those details with words. How to add those extra descriptions that make the world of my novel leap-living and screaming- from the page. Every time I read LUMINANCE HOUR (and believe me, I've read it far more times than I can even remember) I see the settings perfectly in my head.

But as far as words can take your imagination, there's just something about seeing things with your own eyes. Every time I stumble across a piece of art or photography that reminds me of LH, I have such a surge of excitement. Some of these pieces are so eerily similar to scenes I've imagined in my head that I can't help but wonder if the artist was hovering over my shoulder reading the Word document! Sometimes art and photos hold that extra punch that words alone can't deliver. I've even been known to consult my LUMINANCE HOUR Pinterest board during edits to help translate the substance and feel of my setting.

Here are some of my favorites.



This image reminds me very much of my main character: a redheaded Fae named Emrys.



Emrys and the Black Dog. I just love the ominous feel of this image (the girl and the dog with the gravestones). It very much captures one of the book's more intense scenes (which also involves a graveyard and some not so nice Black Dogs).





I love the etherealness of this model in the cathedral setting. She could easily be a Fae guarding one of the royals in Westminster Abbey.


I love this picture because it really speaks to one of LUMINANCE HOUR's major themes: the combination and clash of magic and machine. And it features Parliament's clocktower. (Always a plus!)



Source: google.com via Ryan on Pinterest


Storm over Windsor. I'll just let this picture speak for itself.


Source: google.com.au via Ryan on Pinterest

The hour of luminance over the Thames. Such a beautiful time of day.

This is just a visual sampler of a much vaster, intricate world. You can whet your appetite for LUMINANCE HOUR with the rest of the images here.

--
When she’s not writing and drifting around the globe, Ryan Graudin enjoys hunting through thrift stores and taking pictures of her native Charleston, SC. Her novel LUMINANCE HOUR (working title), the story of a Faery who falls in love with the prince she’s forced to guard, is due out with HarperTeen in 2013. You can learn about all of these things and more at http://ryangraudin.blogspot.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @ryangraudin and add LUMINANCE HOUR to your shelf on Goodreads.

7 comments:

  1. What gorgeous images, Ryan! I'm heading over to your Pinterest board now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! Pinterest is too addictive!

      Delete
  2. I love seeing inspiration for people's stories. And yours are breathtaking, Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It is really cool to see things from the author's POV. I love how they're sometimes so different from my own. I'm glad you love the pics, though!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful images! Look forward to hearing more about your book.

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I look forward to revealing more in due course. :)

      Delete