Tuesday, August 7, 2012

APOCALYPSE NOW: An interview with Gina Rosati, author of AURACLE


Huge congratulations to Gina Rosati whose debut novel, AURACLE, comes out today with Roaring Brook Press/Macmillan. 

Publishers Weekly called it "...deeply engaging." and Kirkus said that, "Readers who enjoy more than a dash of the paranormal in their romance novels won’t be disappointed…”

We were delighted that Gina could stop by at our blog to answer some questions about writing and her first book on the very day it is unleashed upon the world.

But, first a bit about the book:

16 year old Anna Rogan has a secret she's only shared with her best friend, Rei; she can astrally project out of her body, allowing her spirit to explore the world and the far reaches of the universe.

When there's a fatal accident and her classmate Taylor takes over Anna's body, what was an exhilarating distraction from her repressive home life threatens to become a permanent state. Faced with a future trapped in another dimension, Anna turns to Rei for help. Now the two of them must find a way to get Anna back into her body and stop Taylor from accusing an innocent friend of murder. Together Anna and Rei form a plan but it doesn't take into account the deeper feelings that are beginning to grow between them.


Hi Gina, welcome to the Lucky 13s and huge congratulations on the release of AURACLE. What will you be doing to celebrate?

Thank you, Lucky 13’s! My wonderful local indie bookstore, TOADSTOOL BOOKSHOP in Milford, NH, is hosting a launch event for Auracle, so that’s where I’ll be.

Your book is about ‘an out-of-body experience gone horribly wrong’, was it very difficult to write?

The first draft was relatively easy to finish, but there was quite a bit of revision, in fact, I rewrote about 90% of the original draft. And it wasn’t until I went back and realized all the little things you don’t think about when you’re reading a book, like keeping track of the days of the week or the weather. Tiny details can make big trouble.

Where did you take inspiration from?

Everything – situations, dreams, places I’ve been to, places I’d love to visit, music, books, especially non-fiction. I volunteer in a middle school library, so I have a lot of resources available to me.

Did you have fun writing this book? What was the most enjoyable part?

Yes! I had SO much fun writing Auracle! People have commented that they expected a dark paranormal suspense and that Auracle is lighter and funnier than they expected, and I think it’s because I had too much fun writing it. I love a good love story, so the most enjoyable parts were building the romance between Anna and Rei, especially since she was out of her body for half of the book.

Go on, tell us: who’s your favourite character?

Rei. I just want to pat him on the head and tell him to stop worrying so much.

Do you have a typical writing day? 

My daughter is off to school and I’m at my computer by 7:30 am. I try to balance my schedule between writing and family. I fit things in where I can – if I’m watching tv with my family at night, I’m also beading bookmarks or addressing postcards. During the school year, I also volunteer one day a week in the middle school library.

Do you have any advice for beginning writers?

Yes – buy, read, highlight and study Story Engineering by Larry Brooks -  – it is one of the most comprehensive books on the craft of writing a novel you will find.

And since we’re superstitious round here, do you have any superstitious habits?

I make wishes on eyelashes – if I can blow the eyelash off my hand in one breath, it will come true. If your wish doesn’t come true, you’ve probably wished on an eyebrow or nose hair. 

Thanks for stopping by on your book birthday, Gina! We hope you have a maginificent time.

Thank you for interviewing me, Lucky 13’s!  I can’t wait until the Apocalypse is over and I can read your books!!!

Gina Rosati lives in New Hampshire with her husband and two children. Auracle is her first novel.

Visit her website
Like her on Facebook
Review Auracle on Goodreads
Follow her on Twitter






This interview was conducted by Chelsey Flood, author of INFINITE SKY, which comes out with Simon and Schuster in 2013. Find her on Facebook, Twitter and Good Reads.

1 comment: