Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Look who's got a cover!


This week, the Luckies are talking about things people say when they hear about our books. Hands down, the most common question I get is: Did you do the cover art yourself?

If you want a peek at the cover for PARCHED, it's up for the world to see for THE VERY FIRST TIME today! Have a look over at Publishing Crawl.

When you sign with a traditional publisher, you get a wonderful team of people to work on your book: an editor, managing editor, sales and marketing team, art director and more. When I visited the HMH offices in July, I got to meet a few of those people and to see just how much thought and care goes into the tiniest decisions. It was a wonderful feeling.

The thing is, because all of them are doing such great work, I get to focus on writing. Besides, I had a hunch that whoever my art director chose to create the cover art would produce something beautiful, evocative and just right for the market. And she did!

But I understand why people keep asking me this question. They know I love art. My undergraduate degree was in visual art, and I spent several years as an art teacher. I'm a huge fan, and I have to really restrain myself from spending all my time and money dabbling in new art forms. I want to try encaustic*, get better at my pottery, learn how to work a lathe—the list is unending. But for all my appreciation and interest in art, I'm a professional writer, not a professional artist. And with all the incredibly hard work that went into writing this novel, I wouldn't want anyone but professionals of the highest caliber doing the artwork for my book.

And that's what I got. Lucky me!

*Speaking of encaustic, you must look at the encaustic work by Stephanie Dalton Cowan who created the cover art for PARCHED. It is gorgeous!
..........................................................................................................................................................................

Melanie Crowder graduated in 2011 with an MFA in Writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts. She is the author of PARCHED (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, June 2013).
A West Coast girl at heart, Melanie now lives and writes in the beautiful (if dry) state of Colorado. She can be found on facebook, twitter, goodreads and at melaniecrowder.net.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! I never would have thought to ask a traditionally-published author if they designed the cover themselves, but I can see how non-writers might not realize all the work that goes into designing a book.

    ReplyDelete