Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Plot Discovery Road Trip

There are a million different ways to figure out the plot of your story and I've tried most. From extensive outlining to discovery writing and every variation in between.

I think of an outline like a road map of my entire trip. It can be as detailed or as flexible as I want. Discovery writing is more like climbing in a car and driving with no particular destination in mind.

I don't know a single author who uses the same process I do. If what they do works for them, then they've found their own "right way" and I don't question it. The thing is, you never know what will work best for you until you try it. I started out as a straight-forward discovery writer, but I'm not one anymore.

I've found the best method for me is somewhere in the middle. I do a very loose outline based on characters and plot twists. I know the beginning and end, the main turning points in the middle, and the basic character arcs.

And then I set out on my trip with my map in hand and ready for an adventure. I don't allow the road map to hinder me. If I want to take a detour, I do. If I want to change my end destination or drop a few passengers off a cliff on the way, I do. But I also don't allow myself to meander aimlessly through cities and towns that only lead to a dead end road.

This method seems to get me through the drafting process with as little pain as possible, and then I can focus on the part I really love: editing.

Yes, I really mean that. :)

Here are a couple of my favorite sites for different outlining methods:

The Plot Whisperer

Story Structure by Dan Wells

And of course, Save the Cat by Blake Snyder. It is based on screenwriting, but the first book and his "Beat Sheets" are extremely helpful for novel plotting.

What method works best for you? And who else is totally in the mood for a sweet road trip now?

___________________________________________________

J.R. Johansson loves reading, playing board games and sitting in her hot tub. Her dream is that someday she can do all three at the same time. She is a YA thriller author represented by Kathleen Rushall of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency. 

Her debut novel, INSOMNIA, is a young-adult supernatural psychological thriller due to be released in June 2013 with Flux(U.S.), Heyne Fliegt (Germany), & Newton Compton (Italy). You can find her on twittergoodreads, her website, or her personal blog.  

14 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this post, Jenn! I love how you emphasize how no two writers work the same because it's absolutely true. For me, even each book works itself out differently, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true, Elsie. I think different books lend themselves to different styles. Great point! :)

      Delete
  2. I like your method. I am still evolving. I love the Beat Sheet though...I think its my new way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beat sheet is awesome. I'm a big fan. I use that a lot with revising.

      Delete
  3. This post is so helpful! I really like your method.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally want to go on a sweet road trip now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Love this post, Jenn. I use many different methods of plotting, depending on the story. Sometimes I want to take a really long road trip; other times I just want to go to the easy mart at the end of the street. Sometimes no trip at all is involved except for the one in my head. Whichever works, right?

    Thanks for the links, too. I always like learning new ways to do things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I love learning new ways also. Just trying to improve my craft makes me happy. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  6. Excuse me - but is there some way to contact the Lucky 13s as a group? I'm an Apocalypsies author and a book reviewer. I'd like to connect with you Lucky 13s about spotlighting some of your titles on my blog. If anyone sees this and knows the answer please let me know. laurisawhitereyes at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is cool because I do something very like that ... loose outline, but willing to take side trips that come up while I'm writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy with how this method works for me. :)

      Delete