Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sometimes You Can't Pick Just One (Style, That Is)


I’ve always had my own style. For years my mother tried desperately to dress me in what she described as “Land’s End Prep.” This quickly disintegrated while I hit my teenage stride and grew all googly-eyed for Limited Too (BRIGHT COLORS and SPARKLES!). I’m still a fan of bright colors (and sparkles), but I’d like to think that my tastes have grown at least a tad more sophisticated.

Emrys, my main character, has seen quite a few style changes herself. From Medieval gowns to Renaissance corsets to slinky cocktail dresses. It’s hard to keep up with such drastic fashion (even if you ARE magical).

Emrys’s solution is easy. Any time she sees a piece of clothing she loves, she steals it. And every skirt she steals she just places on top of the other one, resulting in a multi-colored, multi-layered collection. For more formal occasions, such as hunting soul feeders in nightclubs or going on a date with Prince Richards, she cleans up a bit and magics up a new, more stylish piece.

I wish I could do that. *stares mournfully at Anthropologie’s website*

For Prince Richard’s wardrobe I looked to the most obvious source: Britain’s own Prince William and Prince Harry. Like the real-life princes, Richard has to wear various outfits to suit his different roles. Smoky pubs and dance floors are far more likely to see his graphic vintage band tees and velvet blazers. Press conferences require a more formal look: Turnbull and Asser suits. Cufflinks. Attire of that sort.

Too bad my husband wouldn’t wear that!

But hey, that’s why I write. To create imaginary, 3D character paperdolls. (Not really, but it’s a pretty fun bonus feature!).

--

When she’s not writing and drifting around the globe, Ryan Graudin enjoys hunting through thrift stores and taking pictures of her native Charleston, SC. Her novel LUMINANCE HOUR, the story of a Faery who falls in love with the prince she’s forced to guard, is due out with HarperTeen in 2013. You can learn about all of these things and more at http://ryangraudin.blogspot.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @ryangraudin

2 comments:

  1. Yep, it's fun to put characters in things we could never get away with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wardrobe and house would look so different if money weren't an object!!!

      Delete