Thursday, October 25, 2012

Rocking a Writer Crush

When I was younger I had a major and I do mean MAJOR crush on a singer from this group, A-ha. Okay, if you're under the age of say, thirty-five and/or not living anywhere near Norway, you probably won't know who I'm talking about. So here's a picture.


You can thank me later for this little bit of eighties beefcake! Check that hair. Wow, just WOW. I was crushing on a guy with hair higher than mine was. And that bolo tie...strange times those eighties...

Suffice it to say that the lead singer of that band was my own personal Justin Bieber. I LOVED him. Like plastered every inch of my bedroom's wall space (closets included) with his pictures kind of loved him. I even had a few pictures on the side of my dresser beside my bed so that when I woke up everyday his picture would be the first thing that I saw. (Sssssh, don't say it, I know, I had it BAD) I would tape every interview he did, read every Teen Beat article about him, listen to his songs over and over...you know all the typical over the top borderline stalkery type stuff you do when you're totally bananas for someone famous. (I mean hopefully this sounds familiar because I think most teens do this....right? Anyone? Okaaaay, just agree with me here people even if you didn't...a girls' gotta convince herself she's sane somehow <g>).

Anyway, as a writer/reader I tend to do a variation of the above every time I discover another writer whose work just sends me. I buy all of their books. I google them and start reading their blogs. I watch any Youtube videos of interviews or book talks that they've done. I hope for them to visit a book store somewhere remotely close to me and then giddily stand in line to get my book signed---which is usually the exact moment that I do a bizarre variation of a verbal muppet flail and they give me that smiling, nodding, slightly alarmed look before sending me on my way.Good times. Sigh.

I tell you all of this not to completely embarrass myself (although I'm doing a pretty good job so far, I think), but to illustrate just how influential writers can be to other writers. Every writer I've crushed on has had a hand in helping me to develop my own writing. Every time I've mooned over their tightly paced plots and lyrical prose I've learned something about honing my craft. Their work has inspired me to push myself harder, to write in ways I might not have on my own because I wasn't even aware that those ways existed. When I first started out I would try to imitate what they'd done and even that was good because it helped me practice and gave me an idea of what in their bag of tricks could work for me and what just absolutely wouldn't. They are my teachers, my mentors--even if we never meet. They leave their lessons in the pages of their books, in the humorous but wise answers that they give on panels and interviews, and even in the moments when they are utterly human and do something embarrassing or just flat out wrong. If I never achieve what they do, if I'm only a one or two book wonder, because of them I BELIEVE that it's possible to get where they are, because heck, they're them, somebody has to do it, right?

So I guess what I'm actually trying to say is that writer crushes are good, especially for other writers. Good for learning craft and good for inspiration. AND I'm not afraid to shout out my undying writerly love for Stephen King.

Although I'll be the first to say that as much as I love that guy, I haven't put his picture on the side of my dresser cause my husband might think that's taking it a bit too far...especially since I've already got this guy there...
Okay, not really, the hubs would NEVER be cool with that either, but ya know, in my head that's where this pic would be!


Amy Christine Parker's book, THE SILO, realeases with Random House Children's Fall of 2013 and follows a teenage girl named Lyla who has been living in a religious cult after the disappearance of her sister. While her parents are hopelessly under the sway of the group’s leader, Pioneer, Lyla is drawn into a dangerous situation when she begins to question Pioneer’s prophecy about the impending apocalypse. You can find her on her website, on her blog, and/or follow her on Twitter. She would absolutely love it if you added THE SILO on your to read list on Goodreads here.

10 comments:

  1. That made me laugh! Aha!! Mine was Nick Cave - another guy who spent far more time on his hair than I ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and cool site you've got, Lucky13-ers!
    I am Michelle, a blogger, and I'm having my first event on my blog to be held in December called Celebrating Debutantes in December (can you keep this a secret? YOU guys are the first one to hear about this so, sshhh).
    I would like to invite you but I don't know where to contact you, can't find anywhere here. I'll be telling you more about the 'event' on email, so please contact me here: michelleshoutsrandom.blog[at]gmail[dot]com

    P.S You are all debut authors, right? :)

    Thank you so much and I'm hoping to hear from you! X
    Michelle Shouts Random

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally swooned over A-ha after their video for Take On Me, but I think their song "Hunting High and Low" is the one that holds up the best (for just how sweet and pretty it is). And I've been watching Vampire Diaries on DVD (just finished season 3 so I'm ready to catch up on 4 now) and my husband learned not to come and ask me a question while I'm watching. If he's competing for my attention with Damon Salvatore, my husband will lose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lOVED "Hunting High and Low"! Especially when he hits the high note on the word "away". I played that song over and over and over. And it sounds like our husband's are dealing with similar Thursday night brush offs:-)

      Delete
  4. Ugh! Fall 2013 cannot come soon enough. I am DYING to get my hands on SILO. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to do some serious book swapping then, 'cause I feel the same exact way about yours!

      Delete
  5. Hey Amy, I still have A-ha on my iPod. I thought Morten Harket was adorable, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking of putting a few of those old songs on my iPod after I wrote this...got ALL kinds of nostalgic!

      Delete