Tuesday, November 13, 2012

APOCALYPSE NOW: Interview with Elizabath Richards, author of BLACK CITY!



By Lydia Kang

Hey all! So happy to announce that Elizabeth Richard's debut, BLACK CITY, is releasing today! 

A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war.

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable—they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed—but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.


I was lucky to receive an ARC of this several months ago and was thrilled with the story. The world building, the romance, the stakes...it was hard to put down!

So! Elizabeth took time to answer some questions I've been so curious about. Here we go!

Where did your initial inspiration come from for Black City?
It all began with Ash. His character came to me while I was watching a movie one evening. I couldn't stop thinking about this drug-dealing, supernatural boy who gets a heartbeat when he meets his true love. So the instant the movie ended, I grabbed my laptop, and wrote a scene between Ash, Natalie and Beetle. That scene never made it into the final draft, but it all started from there.

Some favorite authors of yours?
I'd have to say JK Rowling, Stephen Fry, Suzanne Collins, Veronica Roth, and Marissa Meyer.

Do you have any weird writing habits?
I never write a book in chronological order. I always skip about the scenes, depending on my mood that day, as I don’t like forcing things. I also try not to write when I’m in a bad mood or tired, as my characters have a tendency to get killed off…

Favorite secondary character from Black City? Oooh, that’s a good one. It would have to be Day. She’s a socially inept, a dork, very blunt, smart, bossy, jealous, loyal, sweet, and adorable.

Finally--a tradition we have on the Lucky 13s--do you have any superstitions?
I never walk under ladders or cracks in the pavement!

Thanks Elizabeth, and congratulations on your debut!

You can find BLACK CITY on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, IndieBound, and Powells

*****

Interview by Lydia Kang, author of CONTROL (Dial/Penguin) releasing December 19, 2013. You can find Lydia on her blog here, as well as on Twitter and Facebook.

9 comments:

  1. Someone else inspired by a movie!
    Wicked cover. Congratulations, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Elizabeth! I can't imagine writing a book by skipping around to different scenes - I have a hard enough time keeping track of where I'm at as it is! It's fun to hear about other writers' methods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interview. Fascinating where Elizabeth got the idea for her story. I can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. Congratulations, love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Elizabeth! Awesome cover!

    All the best!

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love getting a chance to learn what inspired different novels. This one sounds awesome! Congrats on the release and wishing you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Elizabeth. Love the cover of your book. I like the fact that you were inspired by a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to try to avoid the cracks in sidewalks, but sometimes, it's just impossible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, Elizabeth! Your story sounds FAB and I love your cover.

    Nice interview, Lydia!

    ~Laura Diamond

    ReplyDelete