Monday, November 26, 2012

Creating a Playlist for Your Novel

This week on The Lucky13's we're talking about playlists. I'm a big fan of playlists. I use them while writing my first draft for all my books. I think they help create a mood and atmosphere for my books.

Why playlists can be helpful:

1. Pulls you into your 'world' right away. This is especially helpful if you are like me and you have short blocks of writing times. I stick my headphones in and push play. Instantly I'm in the zone and my 'world' which my music helps create for me.
2. Blocks out noise (especially helpful if you have kids or you're writing during your lunch break).
3. Ensures you have a consistent sound for your book every time you write. This is critical if you are working on multiple projects at a time. A different playlist for each project is a must.
4. Helps create a mood for your book.
5. Brainstorming. I play mine while I jog. It's an ideal way to brainstorm, because exercise stimulates the mind. I get my best plot ideas while I run.
6. Music inspires.

How to choose your playlist:

When I picked my playlist for GILDED, I wanted to incorporate Asian sounds along with music that I could write fight scenes to since there were a lot of fight scenes in the book. So I had a wide variety of sounds and songs.

For my recent work-in-progress, I needed songs with an ethereal/fantasy sound since the book has fantasy elements. I ended up writing that book completely to the soundtrack of Avatar. (Love that movie!)

Where to get your music:

I use iTunes and I have a mini iPod that I lug with me everywhere: driving (plugged into the stereo of course), jogging, coffee shop, park bench, classroom, couch, floor, library. Yeah, pretty much everywhere.

I'm planning on adding GILDED's playlist to my website. This way when my reader's read GILDED, they can click on that soundtrack and be in that same 'zone' I was when I wrote the story. I love the idea that I can have that connections with the people who read my books.


Christina Farley's debut YA, GILDED, releases fall 2013 by Amazon Children's (formally Marshall Cavendish). She is represented by Jeff Ourvan of the Jennifer Lyons Literary Agency, LLC. She blogs and vlogs about writing and traveling, and is often found procrastinating on Twitter.

Photo by Abby Liga

6 comments:

  1. I've never done a playlist. Thanks for sharing how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. I shall go and design my playlist immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I couldn't agree more with you on all the reasons why playlists for wips are great. :)

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta have a playlist! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! I'm glad you could find it helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm addicted to novel playlists...and also to having a plethora of novel Pandora stations. ;)

    ReplyDelete