Thursday, November 29, 2012

Music gives me a RUSH

Sometimes, I hear a song and it makes me think of a character or a story. For example, every time I hear  Fefe Dobson's Stutterin, I think of Patch from Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush. And while I don't usually write to music, songs that play while I'm driving or working out or hanging with friends often sow seeds of inspiration in my thoughts. And some songs just make me think of the characters I've created, their trials and tribulations, their joys and successes.

In RUSH (coming June 11, 2013 from Katherine Tegen Books) 16 year old Miki Jones just wants to be normal but she finds out she's anything but when her alien DNA sees her pulled into a game where she must hunt aliens or be hunted by them. So, here's a list of songs that make me think of RUSH (I chose 13 'cause we're on the Lucky 13 blog):

"E.T." by Katy Perry feat. Kanye West
"Crazy For You" by Adele because of the first love element.
"Uprising" by Muse
"Midnight City" by M83 because it's a great song to run to and Miki's a runner.
"Home" by Phillip Phillips
"The Pretender" by The Foo Fighters because it's bad ass and it screams action (and there's tons of action in this book!)
"How To Be A Heartbreaker" by Marina and the Diamonds because it deals with trust and love and it just rocks.
"Haunted" by Kelly Clarkson because it deals with issues of abandonment and it's a little on the dark side.
"All I Wanted" by Paramore
"We Found Love" by Rihanna
"Lightning" by The Wanted
"Hurts Like Heaven" by Coldplay because of the lyrics, "you use your heart as a weapon."

 And I'll leave you with a little Pitbull ("Back in Time") because it's about aliens and time shifts and because it's hella fun to listen to.


So what about you? What songs give you a RUSH and what books/characters do you associate them with?


 Eve Silver lives with her gamer husband and sons, sometimes in Canada, but often in worlds she dreams up. She loves kayaking and sunshine, dogs and desserts, and books, lots and lots of books. Watch for the first book in Eve’s new teen series, THE GAME: RUSH, coming from Katherine Tegen Books, June 2013. She also writes books for adults.

Connect with Eve through her website, blog, twitter, tumbler, facebook, goodreads or pinterest.

1 comment: