Friday, December 14, 2012

From "I can't wait!" to "No. I can't wait."

By Jacob Fraden [CC-BY-SA-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons
I'm just going to say it. Two years is a loooooooong time.

Yet that's the typical wait from book deal to pub date for most big publishers. Two years? No wonder patience is one of the hardest parts of this industry!

In my first ever call with my editor, she said that if I chose to go with them, I could choose my release date. The I-can't-wait-until-my-book-comes-out date, and the better-for-my-book date. They were about nine months apart. It wasn't a hard choice at all (or one I had to spend more than half a second thinking about). Of course I chose the better-for-my-book date! I'm a very patient person. (No, really. I am.)

Do you know who isn't?

EVERYBODY ELSE. I don't think anyone outside this industry really gets why this process of printing a book takes so unbelievably long. (As evidenced by the sheer number of "What? I thought your book came out THIS September. It's still another year?!"s I got this past September....) I love that people I love are excited. I hate that after 393 days, I have to say that my release date is still more than 10 months away.

And that makes the wait so much harder.

Not that there's not plenty to do during the wait! It's definitely not a twiddle-your-thumbs kind of wait. Which brings us to the other side of "I can't wait." The deadline-induced I can't wait.

"Want to go to a movie?"
Sigh. "No. I can't wait any longer to tackle this chapter that's trying to kill me."

"Should we tackle this big closet organization project that's been driving you nuts?"
"No. I can't wait any longer to tackle getting a new website."

"You look like crap. Maybe you should take a sick day."
"No. I can't wait any longer to finish these revisions."

The thing is, deadlines can't wait for you to be ready or to be inspired or to have time. Sometimes they require you to be patient with a messy house or piles of laundry or the lack of down time. And sometimes that kind of patience is even harder than the waiting-for-my-book-to-release variety.

______________________________________________________________


Peggy Eddleman is the author of the MG post-apocalyptic adventure SKY JUMPERS book 1: THROUGH THE BOMB'S BREATH (Random House, September 2013).

Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

 ______________________________________________________________

22 comments:

  1. It's liking asking a pregnant woman when she's due. It makes the nine months seem like forever!
    I'm excited to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience is not my strongest virtue, sigh. This writing life certainly helps develop a better approach to all this waaaiting!

    Congrats on your novel, Peggy. Time flies and September 2013 will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-- that's one thing that writing definitely does-- it develops your patience skills. (A little awesome side bonus. ;))

      Delete
  3. Well put, Peggy. It's about priorities isn't it? And to maintain those priorities you really have to have faith in your vision. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. Too bad it doesn't make it nice and easy to choose the right priorities, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Really? Who said you looked like crap?! Do they want to be kicked in the face or something? But yes, waiting is the worst. I think lots and lots of vacations can help with that though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Idk. It was more in a general sense-- but I'm sure several people. Thanks for being willing to hunt them down for me. ;) I'm telling my hubby right now about the lots of vacations theory. Um... that sounds pretty perfect to me!

      Delete
  5. Oh girl, I feel your pain. I'm waiting just to announce everything, then I know after that is even MORE waiting. But at least it's another step forward, right? Revisions and deadlines. Then when it comes out it'll all happen so fast then you'll be writing book 2 and back to where you were, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're waiting to "announce?" Aaaaaa Girl! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear the details of the announcement! And yes. Get nice and prepared for all the waiting, cuz there's going to be a ton.

      Delete
  6. I know the wait is hard but great to pick the date better for your book. And I worry about the deadlines and being able to handle it. You'd think with the wait that you wouldn't have as many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth: One of the reasons I was okay with the later date was so the deadlines for the next book wouldn't be as crazy. Who knew book one would take so many months that it would actually put the deadline for book two smack into crazy territory? Ah, well. I think it's kind of just the way it's supposed to be.

      Delete
  7. Oh patience...that elusive thing of things. And it does take a while for a book to go from accepted to published. But that's the name of the game. Even when the I can't wait is an I can't wait that then gets on your own nerves lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what helps, Pegasus? Explaining every step of the publishing process in excruciating detail. Seriously. Those people will never ask again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I'll definitely remember that one. :)

      Delete
  9. I think I would really struggle with deadlines imposed by someone else. I do just fine with my own deadlines that I set, but being under pressure from elsewhere...yeah, I dunno about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more difficult, but you can do a lot more than you thought you could when you have to. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Peggie,
    Thank you for sharing your long and laborious journey! :-D
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waiting is so hard! Hope it goes faster than you think, then when the release date is finally here, I hope you enjoy every single minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! You're so sweet, Nicole! Thank you!

      Delete