Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Will Write 4 Food


So, I wrote this book called BRIANNA ON THE BRINK, a contemporary YA novel (which is available for stealthy readers now on Amazon, even though the official, widespread launch isn’t until March 15). While this is great, I also have a household to run, which is why, in anticipation of potential book-related madness in the months to come, I recently tweeted a request for make ahead/freezable meal recipes.

After all, writers tend to spend an inordinate amount of time headbound—living in our imaginations, getting to know characters and storylines, and fretting about book releases. I never want my darlings at home to feel neglected during this process (even though I know they sometimes do when I’m in the thick of drafting or revisions), and this is why I try to make it a point to think about meals ahead of time. The alternative is that I’ll try to cook on the fly, amid deadlines and chores and errands, and I’m just not a person who’s able do that well.

So, this past weekend, with the Corinne Bailey Rae and the Patsy Cline (“Hungry for Love”) cranked up, I got cooking. By Sunday, my freezer was stocked with spaghetti sauce meat, enchiladas, taco filling, a mango-salsa-chicken dish, and these so-good-it’s-ridiculous World Peace cookies (allegedly named for what would result if everybody had one). Actually, that last part is a lie. The World Peace cookies never made it to the freezer.

My point here is that I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who likes to have a full freezer during particularly busy times. If you’re one of those people, too, feel free to share some of your favorite tips and recipes. Goodness knows, those of us with books releasing this year (which would, of course, be ALL of the Luckies) could use them!

******

Nicole McInnes is a writer and university instructor living in the Southwest. Her contemporary young adult novel BRIANNA ON THE BRINK is available now on Amazon and for widespread release on March 15. Find her on Twitter, on Facebook and at her website.

5 comments:

  1. Um, I tend to make a lot of soup? Uhh. I'm not the BEST chef in the world but I love how easy soup is. No need for a recipe! Just throw things in and call it what you like.

    ;-)

    Congrats on the super sneaky availability!! I really should get an account on amazon prime.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia, I love soups, too. The crockpot is a cook-ahead girl's friend, but I need to expand my recipes there a bit, as well. Right now, turkey chili is my main crockpot meal for this cold weather.

      Delete
  2. World Peace cookies are the best! Can I make some now even though my book release is still 9 months out? (Who am I kidding, I'll probably make more then, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, as far as I'm concerned, every day is a good day for world peace. At least, that's going to be my excuse any time I make those cookies. They are SO good.

      Delete
  3. America's Test Kitchen has a book called, SLOW COOKER REVOLUTION. I love it!

    ReplyDelete