Friday, February 22, 2013

Portrait of the author...as a child!

There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favorite book - M. Proust

For so many, childhood memories of favorite books, toys and past times can be called to mind quickly. No one escapes those childhood years or the colorful photos that go along with them. Today, we've collected childhood photos and memories from some of our Lucky 13 authors. 



KIT GRINDSTAFF

"This is me, age 6. Outfit? Growing up in England, kids usually wore a uniform to school. This was our outfit for "PE" (Physical Education): shorts and the boys' teeshirt, which I, being somewhat tomboyish, loved to wear at home as well. The bear - that's Melanie, who of course being a tomboy like me, is wearing pants. Or maybe bears always do."


-





Kit Grindstaff
Author of THE FLAME IN THE MIST 

April 9th, 2013, Delacort Press
Twitter: @kitgrindstaff

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13641561-the-flame-in-the-mist 







CHELSEA PITCHER


"If you ever wondered: Do My Little Ponies make Chelsea happy? Consider the mystery SOLVED." 





-




Chelsea Pitcher
Author of THE S-WORD 
May 7, 2013, Gallery Books
Twitter: twitter.com/chelsea_pitcher









AMANDA SUN

"This is me when I was 17 and living in Osaka, Japan. I'm in a school uniform and holding my host family's dog, who is actually quite sweet despite the creepy eyes! And yes, my hair was that long in high school. ^_^





-






Amanda Sun
Author of INK
June 25, 2013, Harlequin Teen

Twitter: Amanda_Sun



KAREN HARRINGTON

"I still remember this little polyester set my mother bought from the Sears catalogue! I don't look too happy to be stuck in a kitchen around age 6, do I? Some things never change. Then and now, I'd rather be reading." 




-






Karen Harrington
Author of SURE SIGNS OF CRAZY
July 16, 2013, Little Brown Books for Young Readers






TEDDY STEINKELLNER

"A picture of me from (amazingly) sophomore year of high school." 









Teddy Steinkellner 
Author of TRASH CAN DAYS: A MIDDLE SCHOOL SAGA
August 20, 2013, Disney-Hyperion
http://teddysteinkellner.com/




MINDY RAF

"I was 14. Perhaps when I write my dance recital memoirs this will be the cover."







Mindy Raf
Author of THE SYMPTOMS OF MY INSANITY
April 18, 2013, Dial Books

http://mindyraf.com/books





K. A. (KELLY) BARSON 


"Gotta love that big 80s hair!" 







K. A. (Kelly) Barson
Author of 45 POUNDS (More Or Less)
July 11, 2013, Viking Juvenile






MAURENE GOO

"This is me at age four, with my favorite possessions in life: a purse and a naked Barbie. Oh and sunglasses, always sunglasses."









Maurene Goo
Author of SINCE YOU ASKED
July 1, 2013, Scholastic Books
http://www.maurenegoo.com/






CAT WINTERS


"This wasn't the senior portrait shot my mom chose, but I liked it because there's a look of mischief in my eyes, despite the fact that I was typically a quiet Goody Two-shoes in high school."




-


Cat Winters
Author of IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS
April 2, 2013, Amulet Books
http://www.catwinters.com





ALISON CHERRY

"My life might have turned out differently if I had worked as hard at skating as I did at convincing my mom to buy me that hot pink skating skirt."










Alison Cherry
Author of RED
October 8, 2013, Delacorte Books for Young Readers


 




POLLY HOLYOKE


"A picture of me showing an early interest in marine research (looking at a tank of pollywogs)!" 









Polly Holyoke
Author of THE NEPTUNE PROJECT 
May 21, 2013, Disney-Hyperion
www.pollyholyoke.com 
Twitter: PollyHolyoke





CLAIRE CATERER


"Here’s a grade-school photo of me, age 7, with my dog, Liza. (It was an era when I put up a peace sign in every photo taken. I don’t know why.)"



Claire M. Caterer
Author of The Key & The Flame
April 2, 2013, Margaret K.  McElderry Books
http://www.clairecaterer.com/








EMMA PASS


"This is me, aged about 14, the year after I realised I wanted to be a writer. I think I was trying to look like a Serious Artist™. At least, that was my excuse for the stripy waistcoat and crazy hair… ;)"



Emma Pass
Author of ACID 
 April 25th 2013, Corgi Children's Books/Random House Children's Publishing (UK) and out 2014 from Delacorte (US)




CAROLINE CARLSON

"I spent most of my childhood curled up on the sofa with a good book, and not much has changed since then."








Caroline Carlson
Author of MAGIC MARKS THE SPOT
September 2013, Harper Children's Books










ELISABETH DAHL


"Here's a photo from my childhood, at about the age of my main character, Genie (5th grade)."



-- 







Elisabeth Dahl
Author of GENIE WISHES
April 2, 2013, Amulet Books
Twitter: ElisabethDahl






NICOLE MCINNES

"It's a humbling experience when you realize you'll never again be as badass as when you were three." 









Nicole McInnes
author of BRIANNA ON THE BRINK
January 7, 2013, Holiday House








LENORE APPELHANS



"My mother reading to me and my younger brother. I'd love to revisit this moment!" 

-





Lenore Appelhans
Author of LEVEL 2 
January 15, 2013, Simon & Schuster http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10861195-level-2




MELISSA LANDERS


"In this photo, my bestie (left) and I (right) had just built an anatomically-correct snow couple. As you can see, I was oh-so-mature for my age. I still am. ;)" 

-- 

Melissa Landers
Author of ALIENATED
Feb. 2014 from Disney-Hyperion




KATE KARYUS QUINN

"Here I am (middle, gigantic red glasses) having an
after-school tea party with her younger sisters."



Kate Karyus Quinn
Author of ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE
June 11th, 2013, Harper Teen
www.katekaryusquinn.com
@KateKaryusQuinn
http://katekaryusquinn.blogspot.com/

17 comments:

  1. Oh, this is too funny. What a kick! What cute kids we all were. Thank you, Karen, for taking the time to put this all together for us... while you're on deadline, too! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You are quite welcome, Polly! This is such a fun collection of personalities, don't you think?

      Delete
  2. this is a great great post! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are ridiculously fun to see. I love that Caroline wore ballet slippers to read! Thanks, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just noticed that both Lenore and I are reading Little Golden Books! And I think my favorite photo is Mindy's. Ridiculous dance recital costume... ridiculously '90s background... it's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! So glad they invented hair straighteners since my photo was taken, though… ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaa! You are all adorable! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG these are awesomer than awesome! I LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I love seeing all the little Luckies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting that both Amanda and I are holding up peace signs AND we're with our dogs!

    ReplyDelete