Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Procrastinate With Me

I have a messy house, two small children, two dogs, a part time job, revisions that need to be finished by a quickly approaching deadline, grocery shopping, meals to be cooked, books to be read, laundry to be folded, and five million other things on my to-do list...

So what do I do? I procrastinate, of course.

First there's checking email, facebook, Goodreads, twitter. That doesn't really count as procrastinating, though. That's just warming up.

If you really want to procrastinate then you need to go beyond the usual social networking sites. The best place to start is Buzzfeed. And because I am ever so helpful (and wanted to procrastinate writing this blog post) I found a few great Buzzfeed posts for you to check out.

I recommend you start with cats. Yes, I know - cats on the internet is a cliche. But don't tell that to Sygmond the majestic grey cat. If that's not to your taste, then try these two adorable kittens who are brothers and who love each other. Okay, maybe you're not in the mood to get all mushy and awwwing over cats, then how about laughing at 28 Cats Who Have No Idea How They Ended Up Here.

Or if you're just really not into cats - no matter what kind of linkbait I throw your way, then maybe Disney princesses are more your cup of tea. There's the Disney Prince Hotness Ranking, 12 Questions Disney Forgot to Ask About Beauty and The Beast, or How Old Are the Disney Princesses?

Or hey, what about stuff that you can pretend is research? The 33 Most Beautiful Abandoned Places In The World, 27 Delightful Obsolete Words, or 10 Brilliant Book Ads?

Of course, these links are all from Buzzfeed (and only a small sampling of the many varied links you will find there) but there are so many wonderful places where we can lose time on the interwebs, for example...

EW's Mad Men Season 6 Teaser!!!

An adorable Joseph Gordon Levitt in a 1997 clip from celebrity Jeopardy! 

The 6 Most Statistically Full of Shit Professions! (Yes, there is a writer on the list, but in a very specific sub-category that is not YA novelist!)

Everything Carrie Ever Wondered About On Sex and The City!

A link to NPR's StoryCorps page! (They play these on NPR every Friday morning on my way to work and EVERY DAMN TIME I tear up. EVERY. TIME.)

So there are my procrastination links, I bet you can't click just one. And don't beat yourself up if you do,  just tell yourself that it's not procrastination - it's inspiration!

Kate Karyus Quinn is the author of ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE, a literary horror novel coming in 2013 from HarperTeen. You can find out more about her book on Goodreads, and read more about Kate on her blog or her website.

4 comments:

  1. ahahaha - you are evil and wrong. I now have a new time waster. This was awesome. I WILL procrastinate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post so much! Brilliant! I'm with you Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, two words: Mad. Men.

    I'll write more words - I will! - just as soon as I'm done spending time I'll never get back checking out the rest of the links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this, Kate!! But I did not allow myself to click ANY of your links. It was pretty hard, too, because I really like cats.

    ReplyDelete