Thursday, March 21, 2013

Release Day: THE ART OF WISHING



Today is the day that my book, The Art of Wishing, is unleashed upon the world.  That’s right.  Unleashed!  So in honor of this momentous (to me) day, I’ve invited someone very special (to me) to join me on the Lucky 13s blog.  Please welcome Mr. Oliver Parish!

Oliver is sixteen years old, a sophomore at New Jersey’s Jackson High, and one of the stars of The Art of Wishing.  Welcome to the Lucky 13s blog, Oliver!

Thanks.  Hi there, Luckies and other denizens of the internet!  Pleased to, um, “meet” you?

I’m sure they’re pleased to meet you, too!  Okay, let’s start easy.  Describe yourself in three words.

Shy.  Easygoing.  Genie.

For the readers who don’t already know: What do you mean by “genie”?

It means my spirit is tied to a specific object (in my case, a silver ring), and as soon as anyone touches that object with their thumb and forefinger, that person becomes my master.  I’m bound to them, for as long as it takes me to grant them three wishes.

Any three wishes?

Well, anything within my power.  I don’t have unlimited magic, so don’t go trying to bend the cosmos to your will, please.  Aside from that?  I can’t change the past and I can’t see the future, but anything else is fair game.

Anything else?  Wow, you must have granted some off-the-wall wishes, huh?

Ohhh, you have no idea.

For example?

Let's just say that bringing fictional characters to life is very difficult.  Not impossible, as long as you take advantage of certain loopholes... but difficult.  Also, unicorns.  Don't even get me started on unicorns.

Rumor has it that you’re a photographer.  What are your favorite kind of photos to take, and why?

Yeah, I take a lot of photos.  I actually paint, too, although I don’t have as much time for that as I used to.  But no matter what the medium, my favorite subject is always people.  I travel a lot – it’s sort of necessary in my line of work – and my art is my way of cataloguing not just where I’ve been, but who I’ve been with.

Who you’ve been with?  You mean romantically?

Well, I didn’t mean only that, but… sure, that too.

In that case, that’s the perfect segue into my next question.

(laughs) Uh-oh.  Okay, bring it on.

Well, in The Art of Wishing, you and Margo McKenna, your master, are romantically involved.  Does this often happen with your masters?

Not all the time – but yeah, it happens.  Being someone’s genie is a pretty intimate thing, you know?  I can read my masters’ minds (more or less), which means they’re trusting me with their most secret, most personal desires before they even know it.  It’s hard not to grow close to someone when you have that kind of relationship right from the get-go.  So, yes, I’ve had romantic relationships with a lot of my masters.  They never last, though.  That’s the thing.  Once the third wish is made, I can’t stick around and live happily ever after.  I have to move on.  Which is why, no matter how much I might admire and respect my masters, I never let myself get emotionally attached.

“Never”?  What about Margo?

Margo.  Yeah, she’s… well, I met her at a time in my life when everything was… aaahhh, it’s hard to explain!  Let’s just say I was in a very “nothing left to lose” frame of mind.  Well, plus the fact that Margo is basically the most awesome person ever.

So, was it love at first sight?

Hah! No, I don’t believe in that.  But it was definitely crush at first sight.  I didn’t know her yet, after all, and it’s hard to fall in love with someone when you don’t know them.  But I will say this: It’s pretty awesome getting to know someone and learning that your crush-at-first-sight was completely, 105% justified.

Aww.  That’s so sweet.  And so sappy.

And you’re being so judgmental!  Let a guy be sappy once in a while.  Sheesh.

Sorry, sorry!  All right, last love-life question.  What was it that first drew you to Margo?

At the risk of sounding sappy again, I have to say it was the strength of her presence.  I first saw her when she was performing on stage, and… I mean, you’ve met her, right?  You know she’s a kickass singer, and an even better actress.  But  it was something more than that.  She commands when she performs.  She’s so sure of herself.  She owns whatever room she’s in, and she doesn’t even try.  I guess I’ve always been drawn to strong personalities like that.

Boxers or briefs?

Whoa, hello there, non-sequitur.  Are you seriously asking me that?

Humor me.

Okay, fine.  Boxers or briefs, hmm.  Well, that depends entirely on… um, let’s say my mood.  (grins) Also, are those really the only two options you're gonna give me?

Oh?  What other options would I give you?

Hah! Like I'd tell you. Ask Margo if you want to know. Although I'll warn you: She's really good at keeping secrets.

Fine, fine. All right, here's another non-sequitur.  Have a look at this book cover:


 So, what do you think? Does the guy on the cover look like you?

It's a little hard to tell, since you can't see his face! But what you can see?  Yeah, that definitely looks like me.  Hair looks the right length, and jeans with a gray shirt is exactly my speed.  But in real life, I kinda hope Margo and I would be closer together...


Aww.  Well, that almost brings us to the end of our interview... except for one last thing.  Lightning round!  You ready?

Ready and raring!

All right, here goes:

11. Favorite food?

Belgian waffles.  The more toppings, the better.

10. Least favorite food?

Grapes.  They feel like eyeballs.

9. Favorite drink?

Whiskey.  Irish, preferably.

8. Biggest celebrity crush?

Paul McCartney.

7. Biggest literary crush?

Katniss Everdeen.

6. Best way to spend a Saturday afternoon?

Going someplace new.

5. Coolest place you’ve ever visited?

The inside of Mount Etna.

4. Coolest place you’ve ever lived?

The Australian outback.

3. Vampires or werewolves?

Depends on the story, but usually vampires.

2. Old Doctor Who or new Doctor Who?

New. Especially if I can be in the middle of a Jack Harkness/Donna Noble sandwich.  Wait, no, don't write that down!  I meant to say new, because the writing is very good. Very, very good indeed.

1. True love or immortality?

True love. Believe me.  True love.

I guess you would know, wouldn’t you?  Sorry, that was rhetorical!  Anyway, thanks for stopping by, Oliver.  It’s been a pleasure.

Likewise!  Good luck with your book release.  I hope, for reasons entirely unrelated to my own ego, that millions of people buy it.

Me too. And that, folks, is what we call wishful thinking.


Lindsay Ribar is a literary agent by day, a writer by night, and a concert junkie 24/7.  Her first novel, The Art of Wishing, is about making wishes, making music, and making out.  She thinks you should read it.

7 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard at this, great character interview & happy release day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, good post!
    Blog hopping,stumbled upon your wonderful blog !
    Take some of your precious time and visit mine too please; your valuable comments appreciated !
    Happy blogging!

    Rajiv
    www.magicalpresent.blogspot.com
    www.magnificentdewdrops.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Oliver has a crush on Katniss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whiskey and waffles...good choices, Oliver! I'd hang with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There were wonderful serious moments in The Art of Wishing. There were also plenty of funny moments and references to Aladdin, the Princess Diaries, and other fun things. But more than anything, there were plenty of adorable moments that made me giggle and smile. While The Art of Wishing does get darker at times, it stays mostly fun and adorable and it’s a great read if you need something of that sort.

    Marlene
    Visit my site for Auto Repair Kent

    ReplyDelete