Thursday, May 2, 2013

Cover Scoop: Melanie Crowder & PARCHED


It's time for another cover scoop at the Lucky 13s!

Let me tell you about my favorite parts:
  • my name, right there on the front!
  • the layered, textured treatment of every surface
  • the desiccated lettering
  • the clouds (they're beautiful in their own right, but also so suggestive of the story's themes)
  • all three point of view characters are front and center
  • the atmospheric tone--some readers have described it as watercolor-ish
  • the gorgeous blurb in the corner (I'm still swooning over that one!)
When I saw preliminary sketches, I was blown away. The artist and the design team at HMH did an amazing job. More than anything, I can't wait to hold a copy in my hands ... not long now!




Before I started on this crazy ride, I never would have guessed how many people are involved in acquiring, editing, designing, packaging and promoting a book. It is an amazing feeling to have so many talented and passionate people behind this story that started as a single image in my mind. And I am really proud of the result--cover to cover!

******************************************************************************
 
 
Author of PARCHED (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, June 2013) Melanie Crowder holds an MFA from Vermont College.
 
visit her online at www.melaniecrowder.net

1 comment: