Friday, September 6, 2013

A Debut Author Ponders What To Pack on Tour

by Mindy McGinnis

As a debut author about to take NOT A DROP TO DRINK on the Dark Days tour, I've been contemplating just exactly what the hell to put in my suitcase. Surprisingly, I've decided that the most important thing to remember is that while I'm an author on tour, I'm also still a regular human being, with regular, boring human being needs. With that in mind, I've made some notes to myself about what to pack.

1) Underwear. Like, cotton stuff that won't be uncomfortable. I'm going to be flying in planes, sitting in cars, walking (possibly running occasionally) and pretty much involving myself in every known method of transportation at one time or another. Comfort is key.

2) Hairbrush. This is something I consistently forget. I'm really good at not bringing stuff to maintain my hair with. Probably because in the average week I "do" my hair approximately zero times. I have been yelled at, often and loudly, by a co-worker who says I have great hair and need to "give a @#*#@" about it. Yelled at nicely, I should add.

3) Clothing. Yes, I need to remember to pack clothing. I'm sure I won't forget my phone, my iPad, my chargers, my bookmarks and business cards... but will I remember to not be naked in public?

4) Toothbrush & Toothpaste. How much money have lobby necessity stores in hotels made off me in my life? A lot. Like, more than you would guess.

5) Shoes. Yes, I have forgotten to pack shoes before. I wear flip flops on airplanes to ease the security process, and sometimes... well, sometimes that's just what I end up wearing everywhere on my trip because I didn't pack anything else. Evidenced in the Class of 2k13 shot below, taken at the swanky Chicago Hilton where we had a panel. With Veronica Roth. And I had on flip flops.


______________________________________________
Mindy McGinnis is a YA author and librarian. Her debut, NOT A DROP TO DRINK, is a post-apocalyptic survival tale set in a world where freshwater is almost non-existent, available from Katherine Tegen / Harper Collins September 24, 2013. She blogs at Writer, Writer Pants on Fire and contributes to the group blogs Book PregnantFriday the ThirteenersFrom the Write AngleThe Class of 2k13The Lucky 13s & The League of Extraordinary Writers. You can also find her on TwitterTumblr & Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. I think we need a photo of this suitcase. Maybe you should photograph it, then use that as a guide for future packing? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A photo of my underwear... my mom would kill me ;)

      Delete