Monday, December 2, 2013

Cover Reveal: COURAGE FOR BEGINNERS by Karen Harrington

I'm excited to reveal the cover for my next middle-grade novel, COURAGE FOR BEGINNERS, out August 2014 from Little Brown Books for Young Readers.

It must be said that I'm crazy for this cover. The colors. The font. The intriguing heart-shaped balloon. The little cloud that reads 'a novel' lest someone think I've penned a guide on how to be courageous. Tee hee!

However, this fictional story does indeed tell the tale of a seventh-grade girl who is right at a coming-of-age intersection, asking herself: "Do I believe certain things in life because my parents' example taught me to believe them; or do I believe them in my own heart?" I love that time in the life of a young person. The heart of a person is really and truly forged and made solid during those moments of tweendom.

This novel is, in part, about that time in our young lives when we challenge the belief system of our own household and start forming our own belief systems. It's also about friendship, rejection, heartbreak, withstanding bullies by finding your own middle-school tribe of friends, holding tight to the dreams of your future and carrying a frozen turkey in the rain.

From the jacket flap copy: Twelve-year-old Mysti Murphy wishes she were a character in a book. If her life was fictional, she'd magically know how to deal with the fact that her best friend, Anibal Gomez, no longer wants to talk to her during school hours. She'd be able to take care of her family when her dad has to spend time in the hospital. And she'd certainly be able to change the secret fact about her family: her mother is agoraphobic and never leaves the house. Never. This is the year Mysti will need to be bravest of all, and with the help of new friends and her Texas History teacher, it just might be possible.

Thanks so much for letting me share my happy news!


Karen Harrington
author, Sure Signs of Crazy, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2013


 -- Visit me at www.karenharringtonbooks.com and on Twitter : @KA_Harrington

5 comments:

  1. It's stunning! I love the colors, too. And it sounds like an incredible book-- I can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE these colors--and it's so FUN! My daughter will be on this book FAST!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT cover, love love the colors and lettering! Congrats, Karen!

    ReplyDelete