Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The first line of our books: 2014 edition

A year ago, we posted the first line of our debut books-- of books we each had coming out in 2013. It was such a hit, we decided to do it again for books we have coming out in 2014!

So here you have it: The opening sentence from 49 kidlit books, in a wide variety of genres. I don't know about you, but reading so many great lines makes me hunger for these books!

photo credit: Patrick Hoesly via photopin cc

Revenge finds me on the bridge.
Kelsey Sutton -- WHERE SILENCE GATHERS
July 8, 2014

My dead grandmother Freddie once told me that the Devil created all the fear in the world.
April Genevieve Tucholke -- BETWEEN THE SPARK AND THE BURN
Aug. 14, 2014

The air in my crumbling attic chamber smelled of roses and formaldehyde.
Megan Shepherd -- HER DARK CURIOSITY (Madman's Daughter #2)
January 28, 2014

There would be no tears on my wedding day--I would not allow it.
Jennifer McGowan -- MAID OF DECEPTION (Maids of Honor #2)
Aug. 26, 2014

I found a foothold on the rough bark of a tree trunk and climbed up in search of Ameiphus.
Peggy Eddleman -- THE FORBIDDEN FLATS (Sky Jumpers #2)
September 23, 2014

There was only pain, at first -- the pain of my magic breaking me into a collection of atoms, getting ready to make me into something new.
Lindsay Ribar -- THE FOURTH WISH (Art of Wishing #2)
July 31, 2014

There's something you should know about me: I've spent my whole life leaping tall buildings in a single bound.
Kelly Fiore -- JUST LIKE THE MOVIES
July 22,2014

"Can you teach me how to shoot a gun?"
Ashley Elston -- THE RULES FOR BREAKING
May 20, 2014

The Metropolitan Theatre broiled with the heat of over a thousand bodies packed together in red velvet chairs.
Cat Winters -- THE CURE FOR DREAMING
Fall 2014

I wish I could say the day Donovan came home was extraordinary from the start, that I woke up knowing something special would happen that Thursday evening in October.
Brandy Colbert -- POINTE
April 10, 2014

When I woke in the morning, it was spring.
Bethany Hagen -- LANDRY PARK
February 4, 2014

Winning: Cara Sweeney had made it her business, and business was good.
Melissa Landers -- ALIENATED
February 4, 2014

It’s been a month since the world was supposed to end.
Amy Christine Parker -- ASTRAY
August 2014

I was seventeen when death crossed my path; before that, I'd only dreamt of twisted limbs and blood as bright as poppies.
Chelsea Pitcher -- THE LAST CHANGELING
Fall 2014

When I was ten, the world ended.
Emma Pass -- THE FEARLESS
April 24, 2014

It was a bizarre May Day parade at midnight instead of midday.
Kate Karyus Quinn -- (DON'T YOU) FORGET ABOUT ME
June 10, 2014

“If you don’t watch my every move, you’re going to die,” I say to the girl at the end of my sword.
Elsie Chapman -- DIVIDED
May 27, 2014

My phone is ringing.
Stephanie Kuehn -- COMPLICIT
June 24, 2014

Hitting the ground is the hardest part.
Karen Akins -- LOOP
Fall 2014

I don't know much, but I do know people like to stop and look at unusual things.
Karen Harrington --COURAGE FOR BEGINNERS
August 2014

Being the good daughter wasn’t easy.
Liz Fichera -- PLAYED
May 27, 2014

We have been walking for two weeks.
Erin Bowman -- FROZEN (Taken #2)
April 15, 2014

This old band ten through one...
Tamera Will Wissinger -- THIS OLD BAND
June 3, 2014

My mother drives right past the New Horizons sign.
Jessica Verdi -- THE SUMMER I WASN'T ME
April 1, 2014

"You know that moment when you spot a gorgeous girl across a room and just as you’re working out your opening line you realize she’s checking you out and it’s like every atom in the universe has lined up to create this one perfect connection?"
S. J. Laidlaw -- THE VOICE INSIDE MY HEAD
March 11, 2014

My name is Lacey Unger-Ware, and I can't make your dreams come true.
Barbara Brauner and James Iver Mattson -- THE MAGIC MISTAKE (Oh My Godmother #2)
February 4, 2014

I long for the comfort of night.
Demitria Lunetta -- IN THE END (In the After Series #2)
June 24, 2014

There are three rules of survival in the Walled City: run fast, trust no one, always carry your knife.
Ryan Graudin -- THE WALLED CITY
November 2014

I couldn't help myself.
Lenore Appelhans -- CHASING BEFORE (The Memory Chronicles #2)
August 26, 2014

It didn't feel like coming home.
Imogen Howson -- UNRAVEL
Summer 2014

Not even the producers of the show could've predicted it would end with the biggest reality-show bitch-fight in history.
Laurie Boyle Crompton -- THE REAL PROM QUEENS OF WESTFIELD HIGH
Febuary 4, 2014

I move my shovel, pushing the mud back and forth at a glacial pace.
Justina Ireland -- PROMISE OF SHADOWS
March 11, 2014

"So, you wanna go?"
Caela Carter -- MY BEST FRIEND, MAYBE
June 2014

The Renegade arrived just after breakfast.

Weird stuff was going down in Oakville, and this time I was definitely—well, fairly sure—I had nothing to do with it.
J.R. Johansson -- PARANOIA
June 8, 2014

Stillness fills the empty stage as I press the horn bow to my body and notch an arrow.
Christina Farley --GILDED
March 1, 2014

She ran, her long red hair billowing out behind her.
Helen Douglas --CHASING STARS
June 5, 2014

I wasn't invited, but I showed up to the party anyway so I could talk to Ellie Chen and find out why she dumped me two weeks ago.
Sarah Skilton -- HIGH AND DRY
April 15, 2014

Raim snatched at a long blade of grass and released the seeds from their cluster at the top of the stem.
Amy McCulloch -- THE SHADOW'S CURSE (The Knot's Duology, book 2)
July 3, 2014 (UK)/ May 2014 (Canada)

There is something kind of spooky about a school on a Saturday.
Jennifer Ann Mann -- SUNNY SWEET IS SO DEAD MEAT
May 1, 2014

Footsteps.
Jacqueline Green -- SECRETS AND LIES
May 6, 2014

This is how you get your ass kicked.
Lamar Giles -- FAKE ID 
January 21, 2014

The girl with no name reached the steps of the building a little before Darkfall.
Miriam Forster -- EMPIRE OF SHADOWS
Fall 2014

“Hold still,” Yuki said, threading the thick obi ribbon through the back of the bow.
Amanda Sun -- RAIN (The Paper Gods #2)
June 24, 2014

The COOLEST thing about sixth grade . . . The Pom Pom Squad!!!!!
Nancy J. Cavanaugh -- ALWAYS, ABIGAIL
October 2014

On the tiny screen of my phone, I watch Jayden Montoya grill grubs over a campfire.
Alison Cherry -- FOR REAL
December 2014

I’ve memorized their every accusation: Murderess. She did it. She was crouched over her mother’s body, covered in blood.
Elizabeth May -- THE FALCONER
May 2014

Stealing a spaceship shouldn't be this easy.
Mindee Arnett -- AVALON
Jan 2014

The mermaid was lying on the hospital bed, looking distinctly un-mermaidish.
Mindee Arnett -- THE NIGHTMARE DILEMMA
Mar 2014

*Note: The opening lines of novels that are still undergoing the editing process are subject to change.




This list was compiled by Peggy Eddleman, author of the middle grade action / adventure novel SKY JUMPERS (Random House Children's Books) and the forthcoming THE FORBIDDEN FLATS (September 2014). You can visit her online at peggyeddleman.com, Twitter, Facebook, or her blog.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, so many books (and sequels!) I'm looking forward to reading next year. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Nightmare Dilemma's first line sounded really good to me. :) This is great, I love sneak peeks.

    ReplyDelete